Mystery wires

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have 3 wires under the steering column of my 72 Bavaria that aren't connected to anything. So far, everything works so I'm thinking they may be for accessories that my car doesn't have?

IMG_4371.jpeg

There is a red wire with a white tracer (red arrow) that looks like it originates in the fuse box. It is always hot no matter the key position.

There is a grey wire (blue arrow) that originates from the turn signal/wiper on-off/washer switch

There is a brown wire with a green or yellow tracer (brown arrow) that originates in the ignition switch. There are actually two of these, but one is connected and runs back to the firewall area.

Any ideas?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Red is always on and could be related to the key or seat belt buzzer that sits inside the steering column covers. That buzzer looks like a small can relay.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This car is July 71 production. One of the first 3.0's. Pre seat belt warning light on the dash. I would think to have a "seat belt not fastened" buzzer that there would have to be some sort of sensor under at least the front seats and electrical connections in the seat belts so that the system knew there was a person in a seat that didn't have their seat belt on. Nothing I can find like that on this car. I guess it may have had a seat belt buzzer system, but if so it has been removed completely (except for the red/white wire). When did BMW start putting a "seat belt not fastened" buzzer system in the Bavaria?

I guess it could be in anticipation by BMW that they would need a "fasten seat belt" light in the near future. The red/white wire for power to the light and the brown/green wire to provide the ground when the key was inserted. There would also be some sort of timer involved to turn the light off after several seconds.

It could also have had a "key in ignition, door open buzzer" that has been removed. The red/white wire would provide power, and the brown/green wire coming from the ignition switch could have provided the ground when the key was in and a door was ajar. I guess it would also need to tie into the door dome light switches somehow. Did this vintage Bavaria have such a feature when new?

An idea on the grey wire...Perhaps for an optional headlight wash/wipe system?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the key/door buzzer. If you had seatbelt warning you would see a wire wrapped around the driver seat belt receiver if it’s Autoflug.
I think that's it, Chris.

Page 8 of the owner's handbook..

"When the driver's door is open the buzzer emits a permanent humming sound as long as the key remains inserted in the ignition switch."

At some point in the car's past, that device must have been removed.

Thanks! :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
They're for the super model vanity light on passenger side. None of us have ever needed it.