Need 4 speed CS driveshaft

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Looking for a driveshaft with good U joints from a 4 speed 72-74 coupe. I'll replace the center bearing, but the U joints must be snug and not notchy. If taken apart, halves must be MARKED so that I can assemble it as a factory balanced piece.

If you have one left over (perhaps no longer needed since a 5 speed swap) I have appropriate paypal / cash waiting! Better condition = I'll pay more money.

Located in Western PA. Can even provide a shipping label. Need one SOON, if possible.

Using it for my 5 speed conversion in my bavaria!

Huge, Mongo Thanks!

Paul Wegweiser
[email protected]

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should buy a new one from Driveshaft Pro. I still have the last one I had rebuilt at the local Driveline Services that I won't install. It has u-joints that are too tight for me to trust. You want it? $1.00 plus shipping. No Warranty.

Attachments

• 1CEB7899-F644-4803-8930-15B5F45EE27B.jpeg
    1CEB7899-F644-4803-8930-15B5F45EE27B.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 98
  • E4476661-A420-4743-941F-9A75C843B7D5.jpeg
    E4476661-A420-4743-941F-9A75C843B7D5.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 89

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@HB Chris, are you saying that the receipt that @sfdon is showing (copied here) is for a 5 speed conversion? If so, that is very helpful to include in the DIY section as it would allow pre-order using the spec on the sheet.

1CEB7899-F644-4803-8930-15B5F45EE27B.jpeg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HB Chris, are you saying that the receipt that @sfdon is showing (copied here) is for a 5 speed conversion? If so, that is very helpful to include in the DIY section as it would allow pre-order using the spec on the sheet.

View attachment 157183

There's no guaranteed answer since there's three different output flanges on the 265's, all different length, and what type of guibo you choose to run also matters (different thickness).
So you need to know these things before you decide on driveshaft length.

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
What I seek is a standard (as it left the factory) 4 speed driveshaft from a 72-74 coupe. If anyone has the measurements on one of those, I can compare it to the receipt from sfdon's photo. As far as I know, BMW only used one part number for that driveshaft from 72 onward. And FWIW, I have a standard fat guibo as well as an M5 type on the shelf... and several 4 speed output flanges. My bavaria has the thinner (M5) type on it now, probably due to an earlier output flange swap....and if possible, that's the guibo I hope to use.... but either guibo will do the job for my needs.

Thanks All!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Same here. Even if I wanted to put the fat guibo on my car (as it now stands, with the 4 speed) it would move the center bearing too far back and it would no longer easily align with the captive mounting bolts in the floor channels. Learned that early on, last summer.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
5 speed shafts have 16.75” front sections and 4 speed shafts are 20.5”

UNLESS! - You use the M5 Guibo which is 10mm smaller than a stock 4 speed Guibo, at which point you add 10mm to that length Carl suggests

Do your math if you use an M5 Guibo and order your driveshaft accordingly.

From Carl’s post-

The five-speed conversion for a CS is not difficult, but there are a great number of steps. The layperson might not immediately understand some of these steps, but they have a reason.

1. Remove the exhaust system (you need lots of room) up to the exhaust manifolds.
  2. Remove the drive shaft. A custom unit must be fabricated, shorten a 4 speed by 3.75 inches

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there are two different driveshafts for our coupes
auto and manual- you can tell an original auto driveshaft even after it has been cut to make a 5 speed- the nose is shorter to accommodate the 30mm guibo A long nose driveshaft with a 30mm guibo is trouble. and so are handmade cars- look closely on the ETK and you will see factory shims
We use 3 different guibos ( 30, 35, and 45 ) and 3 different flanges

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Just to clarify: a 4 speed COUPE driveshaft fits PERFECTLY when installing a FIVE SPEED trans in a BAVARIA.

That's why I want a stock, FOUR SPEED COUPE driveshaft!

BECAUSE IM INSTALLING A FIVE SPEED 265 Getrag OD IN MY FOUR DOOR E3 SEDAN.

Output flanges I have at the ready... and everything else is ready to install once I source a driveshaft from a FOUR SPEED 72-74 COUPE.

Make sense?

Many thanks!

Paul

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
What I seek is a standard (as it left the factory) 4 speed driveshaft from a 72-74 coupe. If anyone has the measurements on one of those, I can compare it to the receipt from sfdon's photo. As far as I know, BMW only used one part number for that driveshaft from 72 onward. And FWIW, I have a standard fat guibo as well as an M5 type on the shelf... and several 4 speed output flanges. My bavaria has the thinner (M5) type on it now, probably due to an earlier output flange swap....and if possible, that's the guibo I hope to use.... but either guibo will do the job for my needs.

Thanks All!

Paul

Below are the dimensions from the Blue Book Manual that I sent to Driveshaft Pro for a new replacement driveshaft recently installed on my 72 CSi 4 speed.

3FC9957E-CCC7-4BD7-8D86-8E8B3418D1BF.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be fair- Paul Cain is the one that found the new wonderful shop and gave them the dimensions. And saved my butt from the evil shop from hell.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should buy a new one from Driveshaft Pro. I still have the last one I had rebuilt at the local Driveline Services that I won't install. It has u-joints that are too tight for me to trust. You want it? $1.00 plus shipping. No Warranty.
Paul- I am so sorry...

I took that drive shaft out of the back, photographed it, measured it and my tech and I decided we would not install it because we didn't like the u-joints
and just throw it away.
Young Nick the shop clean up kid came in and threw it away on Wednesday. Trash gets picked up on Thursday. It's gone.

I'm very sorry- I left you a phone call.

Don

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Paul- I am so sorry...

I took that drive shaft out of the back, photographed it, measured it and my tech and I decided we would not install it because we didn't like the u-joints
and just throw it away.
Young Nick the shop clean up kid came in and threw it away on Wednesday. Trash gets picked up on Thursday. It's gone.

I'm very sorry- I left you a phone call.

Don
Hi Don!

No worries at all! I've done the same thing myself many times over the last 35 years! Got your message as well.

I may "borrow" the low mileage rebuilt driveshaft from my late fathers coupe to verify it will indeed work, while I source another one.

All the very best to you!
Paul