Need Advice: NOT BMW Thanks

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do not know where else to turn to find the depth and breadth of experience, professions and backgrounds but here on e9coupe.

My son, Gavin, is thinking about enrolling in a, for lack of a better term, computer school in Chicago. There is quite a bit of on line schooling before going to the physical site in Chicago. The tuition seems reasonable for all he would get off-site and on. Their refunds policies are clear and fair.

But it is hard to find reviews, blogs or anything else. Is anyone familiar with this school? Do grads find real jobs, Is this a worth while program with a real future for grads? Or anything else you could add about the school that would help him decide? Could you email me at [email protected] or call 215.620.7687.

Here is the site: Designation.io

Thanks so much,

Steve

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Since I feel compelled to read and respond to every thread on this forum, I figured I would chime in. Check your inbox for a lengthy email. :D

Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does your son live in Chicago or would that be an additional expense? There are very similar programs such as The Iron Yard (https://www.theironyard.com) which might be closer to you.

How old is your son? Is this an alternative to College or is he looking for a career change?

Being a good developer is like being a good mechanic. That being said there are well intended but sloppy mechanics and the same goes for developers. Becoming a good mechanic takes time and mentoring from another good mechanic. Sure, I can read this forum and follow all the videos on You Tube, but that doesn't make me Don or DQ.

I guess where I am going with this is that I would not spend a lot of money on learning the basic skills of programming. To your point these can be taught and learned online for free. I would spend time and money trying to find the right mentor (internship, employer, project, etc) where your son can spend a few years working his way up.

To that end, if I can offer any advice on which way to point, I would encourage him to learn as much as he can about salesforce.com and their new healthcare platform. (And yes, I'm drinking the kool -aid myself)

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk offline.