Need advice on windshield and rear window trim popping out during installation.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I am starting a new thread on the process of windshield and rear window installation. There are numerous thread on how to do this, both on this forum and also many on several air cooled 911 forums. Early 911' have almost identical configuration, glass, rubber seal, and AL trim. Years ago I did several 911's and had no issues.

First a zillion thanks to @Stevehose for spending way too much of his time helping me get my glass in after, a now almost 3+ year, total restoration of a 1970 2800CS. Thanks Steve (but we are not done yet!) After this he will be our resident expert on this procedure to add to his long list of resumes of expertise.

Anyhow we did finally get the rear in (two weeks on and off), using the well documented rope technique. The biggest issue we had and are having on trying to get the windshield in, is the AL trim keeps popping out and there is no way once it starts to slide out of the groove to get it back in, without starting allover again.

Both the front and rear glass are the same as removed, the same trim, but new gaskets from W&N. The gaskets seem just fine and the rear as installed seems just perfect. Before removing for paint both glass fit perfect.

BUT, on the top right hand corner of the rear window the trim is not fully seated in the gasket groove. There is about a 3-4 inch section from the corner down the vertical part of the seal. Unfortunately I did not catch this upon installation.

Yes we tried to put a bit of pressure on the trim hoping it would slide back in, it aint going anywhere. I honestly this the amount of trim not captured has increased with the window just sitting there.

So what do we do? Options, leave it and live with it, but experience had shown during the installation process, once the trim starts to come out, it keeps coming, a one way situation.

Another option is of course remove and start all over again, Certainty last resort. For info the rear rubber is totally installed all the way around, inside and out.

Below is the best photo I could get that if look closely can see on of the locking ribs on the trim surface that fits in the rubber groove. You can see an ice pick pointing at the gap.

There has to be a trick to get this snapped back in. Thinking of getting some soapy water and a fine dentist pick and grapping the rubber lip while pushing in n the trim. But again experience has shown we could make the situation worse.

Any ideas, can we save this? Thanks

jjs2800cs
DSC03093.JPG

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Update,

Tried to install windshield once again, no go, trim keeps sliding out of the new gasket groove.

Years ago my wife and I installed the current windshield using the rope procedure and my recollection is we had no problems. We replaced a cracked windshield. We did use a new gasket at the time. Both windshield and gasket were purchased from Maximillian way back.

So the only difference then to now is the gasket. I examined the old gaskets and it is like new, so I swapped the gasket reinstalled the trim which seemed to snap in better. I mentioned there is a lot of guidance on the 911 forums, even saying one can install the windshield alone.

I gave it a shot, taking lots of precautions, and the windshield went right in. Trick is to have suction cups inside the glass so can pull on it will pulling the rope. Lots of trips in and out of car tapping the trim, glass. Not sure I would recommend this however, as they say, don't try this at home!

So what's going on? Either I had used too much lube on the new gasket and it go into the trim groove, and I should have tried to clean but did not,
or, the older gasket rubber is of a different composition (durometer?) than the new one,
or, the older gasket has a bigger or different design of the little lip inside the groove that grabs (locks) the trim in place.

Not sure of which reason, but glass installed.

As for the rear window issue with the trim sticking out, tried a few things but no success.

Still waiting on someone with a magic solution other than having to take the back glass out and try again. I had to cut the old gasket so that is not an option. I did find I have a very old rear gasket which I believe is a NOS. I suppose I purchased it long ago (early 90's when bought the car). It is very stiff and just covered with the mold release grease/wax, which does not seem to want to come off. Not sure it can be used.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Well, got the section of rear window trim to seat. Used a couple of special tools and soapy water.

However, I'm not sure the section is 100% snapped in as there is a very very small gap still between the trim and the rubber seal, but almost not noticeable. When I say not 100% snapped in, I believe the lip in the L-section of the trim is not totally snapped into the corresponding L-shaped groove in the seal. I do not believe its coming back out. Not sure if the section was larger, this technique would have worked. Maybe when start driving the car, it might completely snap in.

The technique (or more like a lucky trick) was to use a modified dental hook pick and rounding the edge of a plastic wedge typicality use by carpenters.

The area is sprayed with soapy water, the hook tool placed so it catches under the groove in the seal, and the wedge is slipped under the outside lip between the body and the seal. The couple of nicks in the trim I believe were there and not caused by the procedure.

So the window glass is IN!

Again, don't try this at home!!!

jjs2800cs

PXL_20240322_162926523.jpg

PXL_20240322_163558401.jpg

Breiti

Reaction score
While I worked on my Mercedes 300SEL, I learned, that there was a wrong produced rubber.
the slot for the trim wasn't deep enough.
You haven't any chance to install the glas with trim.
Maybe something to check?

Breiti