Need help with stock 3.0 CSi Header and exhaust combo.

Goose

Reaction score
I know that there are countless threads regarding exhaust and headers, believe me , I have read them all.
The truth is that I am more confused after reading them since the majority of the threads are related to modified E9 with 3.5 engines.
I own a 72 3.0 CSi with a 5 speed getrag transmission, stock headers and exhaust. The exhaust has some exterior rust, but nothing bad.
I would love some advice from the community.The idea is to keep the engine stock.

-Will the change of headers and exhaust gave me any gain in either power or torque. Is it worth it ?

-I have seeing exhaust and headers options going to 3". Will this make any difference with a stock engine?

-Would you recommend to keep the original exhaust, delete the small resonator, clean it and ceramic coat it ?

-If I'm just looking for a louder exhaust without caring on the gains, what will be the best combo?

-Can you please confirm that removing the small resonator on stock exhaust means to cut it?

-Is there any weight savings on changing the stock exhaust to a stainless steel aftermarket one?

-If new exhaust and headers are a good option, witch combo you would recommend?

I hope these questions will help any future searches on stock engine, exhaust and headers. Please feel free to add any more info.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my $.02:

Headers on a stock engine will not see much if any gain, the stock manifolds are pretty efficient.
Bigger header pipe diameter is not better for stock engine.
I cut out my center resonator, it is now throatier but not too much louder that I can tell. Sounds great.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i agree with Steve, bigger header pipe is not better for a stock engine. i can also attest that Steve's car sounds great. if your exhaust has holes in it or is damaged, then replace it ... if it is in decent shape or just surface rust, don't spend the money.

Wladek

Reaction score
SS exhaust system is noticeably lighter.
I think headers will do the job with sport camshaft, MPS upgrade & cylinder head porting.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could you prioritize your goals and give us a couple of price points to understand your definition of value.

One owner might think $209/hp gain is a bargain and another might think it a poor value.

Goose

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.
My main goal was to see if they were any advantages on having a new exhaust and headers without changing the stock motor. My engine is working great and I don't want to mess with that yet.
I'm really interested on having more sound from the exhaust , so a new exhaust could be good if there are some weight savings (anybody know the weight difference from the stock exhaust?)

A couple of question on the exhaust:
Do you know if the Rakaror SS exhaust come with the option of no small resonator? From the pictures it looks like it come with the resonator only.
What is your experience with Cargraphic? It looks like they have an option with no resonator.