Need some collector advice

Why not post more specific info of the mechanical needs, some basic pics of the interior and show us any of the imperfections/rust that may exist. I have had 6 bmw wagons and currently drive an e91. This car is interesting for sure.
I'll spell out the mechanical needs as if I was keeping it and wanted to drive it 100,000KM. Typically this is how I get a used car ready to use as a daily. SInce it has been in storage 7 years, add something unexpected.
Fix and recharge the AC system. (Could be an O ring or maybe more.
change coolant
rebuild the shifter
new tires (The ones on it have ample tread but are from 2013)
brakes seem ok, but I'd reseal the calipers and add a new coat of Silver epoxy, or just get new ones.
Probably new rear brake backing plates and parking brake
switch from Koni FSD to Koni Sports
Rear trailing arm bushings
Front lower control arm bushings
New tie rods. Lower control arms if warranted. (These have about 60,000 miles on them)
replace the plastic trim around the hatch area that has broken
fix the door lock with a repair kit I have
re program the keys
New belts.
New hatch struts (Mine work well but are rusty)
Swap in the original leather steering wheel I have (As the Alcantara one is kinda tired)
New Battery (This one checks out good, but it has been on a tender for 7 years..Kirkland quality!)
Replace valve cover gasket. Very slow leak
replace some lower plastic in the inner front fenders.
A new seatbelt would feel nicer.
new fastening rings for the fuel pumps, as the auxilliary one doesn't want to budge.
BMW is putting in a new airbag on a recall.

After all that, I would probably get another Sheepdog puppy and start the cycle in the E46 wagon over! (that was why I bought the car in the first place). It is truly the best dog car. Flat floor, low jump in height, tinted rear windows that go down all the way.

IMG_2390.jpeg

For my next attempt at selling it, I might also get the paint issues fixed. Respray the bumper skins for sure, Small door dent, scratches, keyed door, adhesion problem on front lower passenger fender. It shines up nice and I do love original paint....but not everyone loves Patina. Try to find a fresher driver's seat. Anyway, once it is in storage in a week or so, it will be out of sight and mind for a spell. I'll change the coolant and oil before putting it to sleep and fill it with Ethanol free marina gas, fog the motor and see ya later.

Last edited:
I have been here before. Car I absolutely loved, had to go. I was sure it was valuable. Other opinions, ...not so much. I began to think that if I sunk even MORE $$$ into its renovation, I could get the dollars I was sure would be offered. In the end, I realized, this was not happening. Time to move on. Lots of other stuff to do. Save the further investments. Paradigms have changed. No longer can we assume a "rare car in a rare colour/drivetrain/sunroof/no sunroof/wheel package" etc, will be recognized or even desired by future car buyers. In my opinion, get what you can and move on. Then you can breathe, save storage, stress of repairs, parts, installation and further market mayhem. Just my opinion Bob, but differences in perceived/hoped dollars received for this rather unique BMW, well, just may not be worth all the work.
I hope this all works out for you. :cool: Mike

I tend to agree with Mike‘s comments here above. The price you’ve asked seems fair but there is a big list of relatively expensive stuff if you‘re no mechanic. Bases on what you’ve said here, there seems to be a few thousand dollars in deferred maintenance. That guy’s offer may not be too low if you don’t want to mess with it or sink more money into a car you’re not planning on using

I have been here before. Car I absolutely loved, had to go. I was sure it was valuable. Other opinions, ...not so much. I began to think that if I sunk even MORE $$$ into its renovation, I could get the dollars I was sure would be offered. In the end, I realized, this was not happening. Time to move on. Lots of other stuff to do. Save the further investments. Paradigms have changed. No longer can we assume a "rare car in a rare colour/drivetrain/sunroof/no sunroof/wheel package" etc, will be recognized or even desired by future car buyers. In my opinion, get what you can and move on. Then you can breathe, save storage, stress of repairs, parts, installation and further market mayhem. Just my opinion Bob, but differences in perceived/hoped dollars received for this rather unique BMW, well, just may not be worth all the work.
I hope this all works out for you. :cool: Mike
Great advice Mike. I will try to take it.

I tend to agree with Mike‘s comments here above. The price you’ve asked seems fair but there is a big list of relatively expensive stuff if you‘re no mechanic. Bases on what you’ve said here, there seems to be a few thousand dollars in deferred maintenance. That guy’s offer may not be too low if you don’t want to mess with it or sink more money into a car you’re not planning on using
I think you are right.

The other option is to convert it to EV... There is a youngster converting an old 3 series, I am waiting to see how it works out. All junkyard parts and aftermarket software.

"minimal corrosion" equals corrision. Reminds me of my High School English teach er when he taught us how to see through "ad speak". "Cascade leaves dishes virtually spotless." That's spotless, except for the spots.

Interesting car. Love the manual. Love wagons. But...

"minimal corrosion" equals corrision. Reminds me of my High School English teach er when he taught us how to see through "ad speak". "Cascade leaves dishes virtually spotless." That's spotless, except for the spots.

Interesting car. Love the manual. Love wagons. But...
Yes that is true…I should have said for a Canadian car. But it is in no way California or Arizona clean

Sold it to just the right new owner. Young guy who works in the Ceramic coatings mfg industry and has a BMW collection going. A nice 745, a Turbo E36 Convertible and some other stuff. He says he will keep it stock and bring the original paint back to life, only repainting what he has to. Why I should care, I can't answer, but somehow I impart special sentiment to select mass manufactured goods...even though I once worked in a car factory and saw rolls of steel turned into parts. Now have an ad trying to sell my 2022 Subaru BRZ in Auto Trader. Got totally screwed by a dealer who dangled a reasonable price in front of me , only to offer thousands less once I prepped the car (It is Mint) and drove an hour and a half there. Wasted a whole day basically. If the BRZ sells, the next one to go is my 2007 Forester XT. That will be a hard one to place in the right hands.
Earlier in the summer, I was selling a 1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor parts bike that I have lost my storage space for. Was down to $650 Canadian, at which point I wanted to strip it down for parts, keep the motor and sell a few bits and pieces. This guy from Thunder Bay gets in touch and wants to buy it. I said at $650 I did not want to sell it, because I might need the motor one day. HE says he'll pay $800. A few days go buy, he is pleading with me he wants it. I tell him there is a very nice example in Winnipeg for $3000 Cdn that looks good. Mine needs absolutely everything, looks awful is missing some parts. He says he wants a project. SO OK. He drives down from Thunder Bay in a diesel pickup, loads bike in, turns around heads back. At least 26 hours driving time. The parts he needs will add up to probably $1000. Interesting young guy enjoying the journey.

Hey! Congrats Bob! Great outcome. I re read this last post, and I wonder, is this fellow from Thunder Bay, who absolutely had to have your Honda, that needed "absolutely everything, looks awful and is missing some parts"...is he... perhaps ...related? ;)

In selling my e46 sport package manual wagon, I have just been informed that there were only 5 sold in North America with my combo of options.
Seems to me this makes it worth more than the measly $6750 cdn I have it listed at and even then I am anticipating local offers 30% less than that. Anyone think the desirability and value of this car is likely to increase substantially or are they just old cars in a nice colour. There is a guy from California who wants to buy it at $4900 usd. Maybe I should just put it in long term storage somewhere???
Advice appreciated. It has mechanical needs and wear and tear from my ownership and living in CanadaView attachment 186731
Hold out for a better price (aka the right buyer). I have a grey market, 'unicorn optioned', e28 that i picked up from a guy who sold it to me for the 'its just an old bmw' price, but a price commensurate with the going rate for similar, standard appointed e28s. Its was a low mile, single owner euro with heated seats, cruise control, power sunroof, power locks, rear window shade, high comp, 'dirty 30' , an original first aid kit 'pillow' ... and... an auto trans, albeit with the sport mode.

Right away, i wanted to do a 5 spd swap, but after having it into BMW during my first year of ownership, i was informed that the car was pretty much a one-off. Over the years, i've entertained selling it, and have received unsolicitied offers ranging from 'standard, higher end, non M e28' prices, to $ ticking e28 m5 dollars.

I'd find a way to make it known hiw unique the car is and if you can hold onto it, keep it until the time is right to let it go to someone who understands what it is. Not saying you're going to quadruple your $$$. But you'll get what its worth, and have the satisfaction of knowing that the new owner treats it with the respect it deserves.

Just my .01€.

Sold it to just the right new owner. Young guy who works in the Ceramic coatings mfg industry and has a BMW collection going. A nice 745, a Turbo E36 Convertible and some other stuff. He says he will keep it stock and bring the original paint back to life, only repainting what he has to. Why I should care, I can't answer, but somehow I impart special sentiment to select mass manufactured goods...even though I once worked in a car factory and saw rolls of steel turned into parts. Now have an ad trying to sell my 2022 Subaru BRZ in Auto Trader. Got totally screwed by a dealer who dangled a reasonable price in front of me , only to offer thousands less once I prepped the car (It is Mint) and drove an hour and a half there. Wasted a whole day basically. If the BRZ sells, the next one to go is my 2007 Forester XT. That will be a hard one to place in the right hands.
Earlier in the summer, I was selling a 1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor parts bike that I have lost my storage space for. Was down to $650 Canadian, at which point I wanted to strip it down for parts, keep the motor and sell a few bits and pieces. This guy from Thunder Bay gets in touch and wants to buy it. I said at $650 I did not want to sell it, because I might need the motor one day. HE says he'll pay $800. A few days go buy, he is pleading with me he wants it. I tell him there is a very nice example in Winnipeg for $3000 Cdn that looks good. Mine needs absolutely everything, looks awful is missing some parts. He says he wants a project. SO OK. He drives down from Thunder Bay in a diesel pickup, loads bike in, turns around heads back. At least 26 hours driving time. The parts he needs will add up to probably $1000. Interesting young guy enjoying the journey.
Congrats!

Congrats!
Thanks, I have a good feeling this car will be profitable for him as well the longer he owns it. I talked to a guy with a Ford Skyliner last night. Was amazed at how much went into building that roof mechanism and there it was in amazing shape because someone thought it worth taking care of. Looks like I have a buyer for the other car on Saturday.

Edit: Sold! One more to go, then I am down to one Prius, a Coupe and a 2002.

Last edited:
Back