New 2021 Kia Spotted at BMW Dealer

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
EB364F33-7ED5-4765-AF04-623FF3047BA4.jpeg
B394C7A8-67A8-4C5A-8F89-6AD79803AFA1.jpeg

The front is bad enough, but the back is completely banal. Who is going to buy these? At least the Bangle Butt was distinctive.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really don't care for it - almost to the extent that it begins to call into question why this same company is the one that made the coupes. What went horribly wrong since then? Is it the manufacturer, or the consumers?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like KIA's, The Stinger is awesome!!
I like the Stinger too. It looks better than this.

And my uncle bought a Hyundai Veloster N, which is an amazing car for 28 grand. Tuned on the Nurburgring by ex BMW people.

The new 8 series is at least inoffensive, but I can't think of a current BMW that looks really alluring. Mercedes has some handsome sedans and GTs these days, and of course Audi does too. Even the Alfas have more visual appeal to me than the BMWs. A dark blue Giulia Quad is an object of desire.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I drove my e9 to the dealership here in Austin a while back, EVERYONE came out to view it. One of the technicians said- "now that's a real BMW", well the sales guys took offense to the comment and after some back-and-forth, the tech said that the new motto for the company was "a BMW for everybody"... the sales guys just hung their heads and shuffled back inside

Ah, there was a time....

Attachments

• 111120e9.jpg
    111120e9.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 126

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In a recent comment somewhere else on this site I said something like: You could put a Camry or Sonata badge on and BMW and vice-versa and no one could tell the difference. BMW lost me with the 3, 5, 6, and 7 series 45 years ago. And remember the warning of two Roundel columnists, "Never drive a BMW out of warranty."

Perhaps the Veloster N is the 2002tii our day.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last night I began re-reading "The Designers, Great Automobiles and the Men Who Made Them." Ettore Bugatti, with a type 57S, is on the front cover.

Automobile design is a fascinating topic, but alas, what is being offered by our favorite car manufacturer today does not contribute much to the discussion.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny, I was behind one at a stop light this morning and thought....hmmmn, never seen that one yet. I like 2 series in theory because I loved the 235M I test drove a few years ago and find the M2 to be the only vehicle I could see getting excited about in the BMW showroom . Good thing I did not see that brand wrecking front end. I test drove a Hyundai Kona turbo recently with the idea of it being a good first car for a friend. I was very impressed with the way it felt compared to a Corolla and Imprezza. Never thought I'd consider a Korean brand. She was set to pull the trigger on a Crosstrek and has now decided the Kona and money in her pocket is the better way to go.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
indeed, times they are a changin'

I find the build quality and the durability of the interior as well as room and comfort to be exceptional for the price in the KIA Optima my daughter drives. She has also been in 3 or 4 fender benders in the car and it comes back looking great each time which I think is attributed to the building process and the way things are made to take apart and put back. anyhow if BMW stops hiring Salvador Dali's grandchildren to design their cars they may start producing proper automobile designs again. Please no offense to anyone-

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, I put Dali and Warhol in the same pantheon. Under rated, under appreciated genius's of the 20th Century. Visit the Warhol museum in Pittsburgh. I was lucky enough to see the major Dali exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art a couple of years ago. Changed my low opinion of these two in about two hours. Dali's grandchildren would probably create a better designed car than Bangle and his successors. They are the hack, Paint on Velvet Starving Artists.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its sad to say that i would rather see the bangle designed BMW than these new things. it used to be that certain car companies produced iconic cars that were separated from your basic transportation - visually and performance wise. not so much anymore. all of the car manufacturers are starting to look like GM did in the 70's / 80's - 3 or 4 versions of the same platform draped in different bodies. now its all the same body on different platforms.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
its sad to say that i would rather see the bangle designed BMW than these new things. it used to be that certain car companies produced iconic cars that were separated from your basic transportation - visually and performance wise. not so much anymore. all of the car manufacturers are starting to look like GM did in the 70's / 80's - 3 or 4 versions of the same platform draped in different bodies. now its all the same body on different platforms.
I think these cars are designed to satisfy the new Biggest market player. Used to be the USA. I so would like to buy a visually simple car (both interior and exterior). I'm getting my first new car in my 62 years in a couple of weeks....and I am not even excited about it. More excited about how well the new Michelin Xice snow tires will work and what roof box will look best.

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used to stop by the BMW dealership in Seattle every so often to visit a friend who works there. Usually I was driving my E38, E23, 2002 or E9.
Most of the time, there would be a few folks that would come out to look at what I arrived in (even when I took the newer cars - funny how the young guys look at them sometimes more favorably than the older 'classic' ones...).

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remember going to the showroom for the intro of the new model year cars. Then a '57 Chevy looked nothing like the '58, nor did the '59 and so on. The last time I got excited about a car was when I bought JMinNJ's 76 2002. Oh, there was an early Dodge Daytona I found for my son that was interesting.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
The proportions are ok but the styling is so bland. Besides the completely ridiculous grill, is BMW now getting rid of the Hoff kink or is it upside down on the new 4?