New 2021 Kia Spotted at BMW Dealer

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Playing devil’s advocate, we are a tiny minority that can’t support the direction of a global car company (or even a boutique builder). I agree that the direction of BMW design lost me a while ago, but they do continue to build the occasional car I lust after. If that’s what it takes, I can live with it. Just my 2 cents.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Someone once said " there is an ass for every seat " and my ass is firmly planted in an E30 daily driver.
With PowerBall money I would buy an M8 convertible but not sure if I could deal with all the gizmos.
We have an X2 that we are not wild about, would have preferred a 3 series sport wagon but to expensive.
Korean cars were once disposable but now they are pretty high quality.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I drove my e9 to the dealership here in Austin a while back, EVERYONE came out to view it. One of the technicians said- "now that's a real BMW", well the sales guys took offense to the comment and after some back-and-forth, the tech said that the new motto for the company was "a BMW for everybody"... the sales guys just hung their heads and shuffled back inside

Ah, there was a time....

Peter,

That is the exact same thing that happened to me about 16 months ago. The congregation in the lot included the owner of this quite large dealership (whom I'd known pretty well back in the '70's, when his father-in-law could only afford one new car at a time on a showroom that was large enough to just held one car). The discussion led to the offer of storing my car on their showroom floor for a month (well to the rear of all the cars they were trying to sell!!). There was nothing on the showroom floor that had a design nearly as attractive as the e9.

Regarding grilles, to my visual processing unit, they have never equaled or improved from those of the '70's and 80's.

The latest model of the six Bimmers I've owned (and been attracted to) was the '97 e31. Doubt I'll ever have another one (blasphemy, I know!!).

Gary

PS: That last paragraph is not totally accurate. I've always liked the Z8, but not willing to store that much money in one bay of the garage.

Last edited:

gwittman

Reaction score
I really don't care for it - almost to the extent that it begins to call into question why this same company is the one that made the coupes. What went horribly wrong since then? Is it the manufacturer, or the consumers?
Talking about the company that made our coupes, BMW now considers a 4 door a coupe.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Car companies have far less freedom in car design. Activist groups and the insurance industry have pushed the government to continuously restrict the design elements a car manufacturer may alter.

Then the are the various "consumer" groups who have a huge influence on car design. I saw this with stereo equipment starting in the 1980s; They created these checklists of features, and rated products based on whether these features were present. Thus, stereos suddenly became festooned with crap that altered input signals in various ways, all of which diminished the quality of the output signal. Electronic enhancements in our cars have proliferated in part because of this consumer reports checklist approach to evaluating cars, which has had the effect of diminishing the relative importance of a car that does basic things well (like, to pick the example that brought me to BMW in the first place, braking).

Financial incentives car manufacturers offered to dealers to sell cars with more and more options also contributed to this trend. Consumer who were enticed by dealers to buy heavily optioned cars responded to consumer surveys that the options were important so as to justify their spending decision after the fact. A year later, most of the highly sought after options went unused.

Watching these trends unfold, it is not difficult to understand why our youth are not passionate about automobiles.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car companies have far less freedom in car design. Activist groups and the insurance industry have pushed the government to continuously restrict the design elements a car manufacturer may alter.

Then the are the various "consumer" groups who have a huge influence on car design. I saw this with stereo equipment starting in the 1980s; They created these checklists of features, and rated products based on whether these features were present. Thus, stereos suddenly became festooned with crap that altered input signals in various ways, all of which diminished the quality of the output signal. Electronic enhancements in our cars have proliferated in part because of this consumer reports checklist approach to evaluating cars, which has had the effect of diminishing the relative importance of a car that does basic things well (like, to pick the example that brought me to BMW in the first place, braking).

Financial incentives car manufacturers offered to dealers to sell cars with more and more options also contributed to this trend. Consumer who were enticed by dealers to buy heavily optioned cars responded to consumer surveys that the options were important so as to justify their spending decision after the fact. A year later, most of the highly sought after options went unused.

Watching these trends unfold, it is not difficult to understand why our youth are not passionate about automobiles.

I agree. I think this latest BMW was focus-grouped to death--in China. Big grill=prestige. Like Hermes scarf or Vuitton handbag. China is the number one growth market for "luxury" products (I guess luxury can be defined things that advertise how expensive they are). I think America went through similar phases with Tiffany lamps 100 plus years ago. Overdone, gaudy products that project "prestige".

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have to admit, I like how my X2 looks but overall I am not in love with it.
The seats are not comfortable, the gizmos are wonky....
My Subaru Outback was bigger, had more options and was way more comfortable

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to admit, I like how my X2 looks but overall I am not in love with it.
The seats are not comfortable, the gizmos are wonky....
My Subaru Outback was bigger, had more options and was way more comfortable
X2 is more handsome than the Subies, but the next car for our kids will be an Outback. Stodgy and dull, but get the job done and cheap to insure.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm picking up a new Outback XT in Silver on Tuesday. Saw the car today. I find the styling quite bad overall in an uninspiring shade of Silver. I like the older body styles much more. I do like the new Turbo direct injection engine though and lower GC of a boxer engine. Buying it for the ground clearance, price, towing capability (the Allroad can't tow) handling and crash test numbers (Hard to beat in this regard) . Quite happy that the Turbo is fine with low octane fuel. You can boost it up to about 300HP if you want to run Premium fuel. They look decent when modded with off road tires and Safari style cages on the roof...and out in the Wilds of Colorado. So far on their FB group I see quite a few issues with some electronics, etc. Hope mine is reliable (My Forester has been excellent) I also want a low key car that is invisible. It is being delivered on the new Michelin XIce Snow tire... that are made in Canada. There appears to be an active community that wants to mod them. I like that.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to a BMW dealership to check out the new 4 series, and I liked it. They had one side by side with the previous model and it was a better looking car IMHO. Big grills are nothing new to car design or to BMWs, just look at the 328s from the 1930's. My beef with newer BMWs is with their build quality and driving experience. I bought a 2011 550i a few years ago that only had 70K miles, but it was an absolute lemon. When things worked well, it was a great driving car, but it had all kinds of mechanical and electrical issues that shouldn't have manifested in such a low mileage car. Every time I took it to the dealership it cost me $2K. When I took it for repairs and got a loaner, the dealership would give me a newer 3 series. The steering was absolutely numb and the interior was bland; I felt like I was driving an economy car. You could put the biggest grill in the automotive world on your car and it won't make up for driver experience.