New BAT - 72 csi - Guess?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Their coming out in droves. :) I will submit a guess, but I think I'll wait to see what the other car does in 7+ hours first. I am dying to find out if that $70k bid sticks, and if any one else jumps in.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just looked at the pictures more carefully. I suspect LOTS of rust hiding in plain sight. Adjusting bid to $30k

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just looked at the pictures more carefully. I suspect LOTS of rust hiding in plain sight.
Scott, I suspect you are right - yet the car presents so pretty and shiny for the unsuspecting buyer. These cars are so good at that, and they are just so darn beautifully designed (if not engineered).

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
images

Dohn

Reaction score
I appreciate their candor in photographing the paint flaws, but it does point out an awful lot of what appear to be bondo cracks. Couple that with the wavy door bottoms and rust bubbles and you know this is going to need a full repair and repaint. It does have some nice extras, like the BBSs, clean chrome (including rear bumper underriders), and presents well to the uninitiated, so I think it might push $35K.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I appreciate their candor in photographing the paint flaws, but it does point out an awful lot of what appear to be bondo cracks. Couple that with the wavy door bottoms and rust bubbles and you know this is going to need a full repair and repaint. It does have some nice extras, like the BBSs, clean chrome (including rear bumper underriders), and presents well to the uninitiated, so I think it might push $35K.
I am submitting two bids. The first by a naive, smitten, knows nothing about our coupes except what his glazed-over eyeballs are whispering to his e9 addled brain: $65k.

Second bid, Calling Markos: I am placing a bid for one of our favorite forensic autopologist's: $30k.

Can't wait to see where the hammer falls.

Steve

Wladek

Reaction score
Yes, a lot of bondo cracks.
BBS 16 wheels are not BBS, just replica (BBS never had 24 bolt) bolts are probably just fake bolts.
Battery is in a trunk because mount under hood is probably rusted & couldn't handle it.

From good things - it's genuine CSI, it's complete, it have headers, nice headliner, wood is in pretty good shape.
I think 30k without any problem.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just looked at the pictures more carefully. I suspect LOTS of rust hiding in plain sight. Adjusting bid to $30k

I bet it feels good to really understand the rust situation in these cars now!

FYI - The BBS wheels are replicas. I immediately thought so but they are pretty good so I checked with a member (edit: Wladek beat me to it so three confirmations).

Wladek

Reaction score
Last CSi sold for $40k on BAT. Me thinks this one is a little bit nicer, so I would say, $45k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-3-0csi/
Actually Rob, i think car from your link was nicer. A lot of rust also, but in that CSI i think it is the same situation with rust, the only difference that rust is under 5mm of bondo.

In yours link - main value lifters where:
1. Alpina 16"
2. AC
3. Nice new leather seats
4. Refreshed wood

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess I have to submit a guess now that the other auction completed. I personally feel it is probably worth about $30k (all disclaimers of not having seen the car, etc). But I suspect it may get to around $45k on the BaT auction. I'll say $42,000 so as not to duplicate Rob's guess.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
From the original owner:

"That’s my beautiful Ex! It was a passionate relationship. I’m a former owner. I did all the restoration. I bought it in 1986. It was a grey market car that I bought from someone locally (Baltimore). It was in great original condition but beginning to show rust in the well documented areas. The car had never been in an accident. Mileage is a guess as the odometer is in KMs and was probably turned over when I bought it. I did a ground up restoration on it in the late 80s. It looks pretty much the same as it was when I sold it in the late 90s. Ron Gregory did the paint and body work. Rust wasn’t extensive and nothing structural. He cut out and replaced the rot on the rockers and door bottoms. He obviously did a great paint job if it looks this good 30 years later. Rust today. I’m sure. These bodies were made by Ghia in Italy. There’s a Ghia plate by the driver’s door. There are thin drain slits in the door bottoms that clog easily. Rocker panels. Rear quarter panels. Front shock towers. You’re gonna always be chasing rust. You’re gonna hear water sloshing somewhere in the car when you brake. What concerns me most about the pictures is they don’t show the rear shock tower mounts. There was some minor surface rust there when I restored the car. It was cleaned up and painted but I’d really worry about that area. You can’t see it unless you pull the trim up in the trunk. These coupes get bad structural rust there. BUT THE GOOD STUFF. I replaced almost everything I could at the time with new BMW parts. All the door and window gaskets. Trim parts. Bumpers are the original euro ones. All new suspension parts. Half shafts. Bilsteins. Coil progressive springs that I think came from Miller and Norburn. There was a front shock tower brace but it’s not installed in the pictures. Wheels aren’t BBS. I think they were Enkei. They still look good. I did and extensive mechanical restoration. Engine rebuild with Mahle pistons. Block was done by ATI Performance. Custom Lunati cam. Stahl headers. New fuel injectors etc. Engine wasn’t put on a dyno but it was over 300 hp. Transmission was rebuilt. I painted the engine block Chevy blue. I like the color and I had some in my garage at the time. I moved the battery to the trunk. There’s a tie down strap that holds it securely. It’s not on in the picture. I was very active in the BMW car club at the time and took the car to Summit Point a couple times. The car was a blast to drive there but the rear end gearing is probably better for a longer circuit. I think the rear is 3.25. The rear is about the only thing that wasn’t done by me. The seats are in about the same condition as when I sold the car. Wood trim shows a lot of delaminating. I put the Alpina steering wheel on. The original wood steering wheel was sold with the car. Power window motors aren’t a high point for these cars. Replacements weren’t available. All four worked but the driver door motor was very slow. I know the car had at least two owners since I sold it but I doesn’t look like it was driven a lot. I think it’s the most beautiful car BMW ever made. I put a lot of passion and work into restoring it. I loved owning and driving it. I don’t have any regrets but I wouldn’t want it back. I’m very happy in my Mini these days."

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a lot of mods for a d-jet engine. Dinosaur-jet was an excellent system, but it had little flexibility for mods so I have to wonder how this one was set up and works.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
$32.5k. But I'll be happy if proved low ;). I was way off on the heavy project CSI plus parts on BAT a while ago.

Considerations: Rust hard to evaluate, Engine description questionable for d-jet system.

Paul

BTW this is close to me, so if a member has more than casual interest, I may be able to take a look.

Last edited: