"New" Blaupunkt Frankfurt / Modern Bells and Whistles / Due in 2026

paul cain

Well-Known Member
Site Donor $$
Messages
761
Reaction score
1,548
Location
Orange County
This is pretty compelling.........At first glance it looks like the original.


Low level inputs to an amp, Displays the name / band of Bluetooth fed music. Watch the mini video as it shows incoming phone calls. I have no idea on availability or price. FWIW.
 
Wow that's impressive. Not only because the original manufacturer is still in business, but their willing to invest in "cool" as I doubt they could sell enough to turn a profit.
Thanks for sharing!
 
Would the Frankfurt Stereo MB model (which I assume stands for Mercedes Benz) have the faceplate and knobs consistent with what a BMW dealer might have installed in the late 60's / early 70's? Blaupunkt won't let me copy & paste the photo, but this link shows it: https://blaupunkt.com/product/frankfurt-stereo-mb/

The model with the stainless steel faceplate and white knob, that comes up with the link that Paul sent, seems appropriate for an earlier car.

I'm sure these will be pricey, but the alternative is a refurbished, original radio which tend to have so-so sound or the commonly available "retro look" radios which don't really look that authentic (like this one from RetroSound: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/retroradio/bmw )..
 
Last edited:
Would the Frankfurt Stereo MB model (which I assume stands for Mercedes Benz) have the faceplate and knobs consistent with what a BMW dealer might have installed in the late 60's / early 70's? Blaupunkt won't let me copy & paste the photo, but this link shows it: https://blaupunkt.com/product/frankfurt-stereo-mb/

The model with the stainless steel faceplate and white knob, that comes up with the link that Paul sent, seems appropriate for an earlier car.

I'm sure these will be pricey, but the alternative is a refurbished, original radio which tend to have so-so sound or the commonly available "retro look" radios which don't really look that authentic (like this one from RetroSound: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/collections/retroradio/bmw )..
Jay-Here you go...
 

Attachments

  • Frankfurt.jpg
    Frankfurt.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 207
This is pretty compelling.........At first glance it looks like the original.


Low level inputs to an amp, Displays the name / band of Bluetooth fed music. Watch the mini video as it shows incoming phone calls. I have no idea on availability or price. FWIW.
As I was refurbishing my car last year, I replaced a cheap aftermarket unit with an inexpensive Blaupunkt Amazon purchase. I spent a bit on nicer speakers (5) and am pretty happy with the sound. I have a difficult time using the faceplate controls, so I pretty much depend on the remote.

I’d like to hear more about the nicer Blaupunkt units and what I might gain with an upgraded At some point.
 
I have a Retrosound Europa and have fitted a few for customers too. Have all been very happy with them. My only gripe is they do need assembly but are a bit cheaper than the blaupunkt unit.

Hoping these are of better quality than their 80s retro DAB re-releases as I feel they are quite poor both in terms of build quality and sound.

 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240930_193157.jpg
    IMG_20240930_193157.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 162
Since I don’t listen to the radio I have a Bluetooth amp under the rear seat which pairs with my iPhone immediately. I have my iTunes album but mostly use Spotify.
 
For US buyers, the new Blaupunkt radio doesn't receive HD radio, only the European digital radio standard DAB+. Of course it has lots of other reception options, and while I haven't listened to any HD stations, there are few radio stations that play what I like anyway. A simple bluetooth connection is all I really need.
 
I have a Retrosound Europa and have fitted a few for customers too. Have all been very happy with them. My only gripe is they do need assembly but are a bit cheaper than the blaupunkt unit.

Hoping these are of better quality than their 80s retro DAB re-releases as I feel they are quite poor both in terms of build quality and sound.

That’s a beautiful interior.
 
I have a Retrosound Europa and have fitted a few for customers too. Have all been very happy with them. My only gripe is they do need assembly but are a bit cheaper than the blaupunkt unit.

Hoping these are of better quality than their 80s retro DAB re-releases as I feel they are quite poor both in terms of build quality and sound.

As noted above, please tell us more about your interior. Appears to be on a level like Rolls Royce or similar. Quite the jump from our usual spartan 1970's dash, console and seating. We are interested. ;)
 
I don't want to discourage anyone from buying them, but these aren't exactly great-sounding units...
They feature nice 70s-style packaging and a few artificial gimmicks to boost the sound, but inside lie cheap components that result in overall inferior audio quality compared to the original...
If you care about good sound quality, I’d steer clear of these plastic noisemakers.
 
I don't want to discourage anyone from buying them, but these aren't exactly great-sounding units...
They feature nice 70s-style packaging and a few artificial gimmicks to boost the sound, but inside lie cheap components that result in overall inferior audio quality compared to the original...
If you care about good sound quality, I’d steer clear of these plastic noisemakers.
interesting, for the price I would think they would be fantastic
 
If you aren't concerned about truly high-quality sound and prefer a period-correct look, these new retro radios will suffice for occasional listening and phone calls.
However, if good sound is a priority for you, I would go in a different direction—but that’s a whole other story.
 
If you aren't concerned about truly high-quality sound and prefer a period-correct look, these new retro radios will suffice for occasional listening and phone calls.
However, if good sound is a priority for you, I would go in a different direction—but that’s a whole other story.
My view is we are unlikely to get good sound quality in a coupe. No matter what you do to add sound deadening, improve the quality the electronics, modify speaker location, etc., the environment of our cars is full of unwanted background noise. Glass transmits low frequency sound well, and tires on the road give off lots of low frequency sound, so the beautiful greenhouse of a coupe creates a very poor environment for music.
 
Back
Top