New cooling system

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My engine will start to overheat in stop & go traffic with the A/C on. @sfdon put together his cooling system & A/C system that he uses on the cars in his shop. We also found the lower radiator hose that has been on the engine was wrong and was crimped at the T-Stat housing. The engine has never been hot in the 14K miles I have driven, except as mentioned before.
Now the BMW hoses are correct, the radiator, shroud, and fan & clutch are new, the Graf PA380 water pump,t-stat (80C) & cover are also new with BMW coolant/distilled water added as a 50% solution.
The entire A/C system will be installed after the trip to Highlands, NC. Here are pics of Don's Champion radiator and Topran German fan.

Attachments

• IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4391.jpg
    IMG_4391.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 106

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Drew,

Would you be able to provide the part number for the correct lower radiator hose?
I ordered this from FCP but doesn't seem to fit properly. It bends near the thermostat housing.
I have the champion radiator as well.

Thanks

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Don.
The one I purchased is for the early models (my E3 is 1971), but I have the late thermostat cover on if that makes a difference.
I can take some pictures tomorrow to show the issue

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you have modified your engine to use a distributor cap like a Motronic version or a later thermostat housing cover (post a pic please) you will need the special late “750” hose.
pic ?

Last edited:

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.
I am using the later thermostat housing, but original distributor setup.
IMG_6737.jpeg
IMG_6736.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ezz - I'm confused on what your issue may be. You asked about the lower radiator hose, and Don gave you the part number. You then indicate you are going to post pictures of the problem. The pictures, however, do not show a hose connected to the lower radiator attachment point on the water pump, and they do not show the attachment point on the bottom of the radiator.

Your pictures appear to highlight the upper radiator hose attachment.

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris.
The way I read Don’s message is to post a pic of the thermostat housing cover. But maybe J am wrong.
So here are few pics of the issue:
IMG_6741.jpeg

IMG_6742.jpeg
IMG_6744.jpeg