New Differential

Rod Cole

Reaction score
I got a 3.07 rear end to replace the 4.10 gas guzzler which is in the car now. I'm wondering how to get the speedo to work right with the new gears. I thought it would be a matter of changing speedo drive gears but after reading what I could find, I'm not so sure this is the case! If someone is in the know about this, I would love to hear from you. Thank You

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had my Speedo sent to North Hollywood Speedo or Palo Alto speedometer for jabberjaw with the 3.07. They recalibrated it. Seems accurate now.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Speed calibration is done in the speedometer, not the transmission.

Parts can be swapped out in the speedometer to match your new gear ratio, or you can search for another speedo that has correct gears in it. Not sure which is more difficult to source.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Very thankful for the two replies so far, I looked at the web-sites of both shops listed above, just wonder if anyone has any experience with either & how it went

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have experience with Palo Alto - all work done very well and quicker than they estimated. if you look at the FAQ - Best Sources, you might find a couple more shops that do this work ... and you will find other sources for other needs.

if you also want somebody to work on the diff, i highly recommend diffsonline.com - they are also listed on the FAQ ... they are in Wilmington, MA

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
At the early days we use small gears to install between the speedo and the speedo cabel or installen in the speedo cable.
klick here Adapter

Breiti
Interesting! I just read their website; Once you have given them your desires, they will custom build a special small gearbox that mounts between the gearbox and the tacho. Cool.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got a 3.07 rear end to replace the 4.10 gas guzzler which is in the car now. I'm wondering how to get the speedo to work right with the new gears. I thought it would be a matter of changing speedo drive gears but after reading what I could find, I'm not so sure this is the case! If someone is in the know about this, I would love to hear from you. Thank You
Just curious, what coupe do you have with the 4.10? I have one from a ‘75 CSi.

mbmw

Reaction score
It most likely came from a E12 1.8 or 2.0l engine. I'm using a similar one in my CSL race car.

Rod Cole

Reaction score
What I have is a '74 3.0CS with 3 Webers, a little hotter cam and a little longer stroke. I bought it that way, and it came with a complete history showing who did all the work~

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Guess I'll be waiting a while to fix the speedo, being the eBay guy sent me a non-LSD 3.45 rather than a 3.07 LSD. Major disappointment, however eBay was very helpful so far. Now to see how the refund & return shipping label work out. Why do people try to do stupid things like this?????

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you see a pic with the S and the ratio before you bought?

got a link to the ad?

beware the other 3.07 lsd on eBay- it’s obviously not a sideloader.!!

Rod Cole

Reaction score
Only one photo, thought I could trust 100% feedback, won't make that mistake again. Got worried when tracking showed it almost here, and eBay still had the auction up. It's the one on the pick-up tailgate.