New E3 Owner, I collect neglected garbage and I'm hoping to build something cool

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Hey boys! My name is Rob, I live near Milwaukee, and I build cool things out of garbage on the brink of being dumpster fires. In addition to cars, I also restore boats, snowmobiles, and random things like fireplace inserts, 1950s/60s craftsman tools, and have some issues owning to many projects. Last week I impulsively purchased a Malaga 72 Bavaria that was last registered in 1980, and it's been in a garage in Kansas until it was dragged to Wisconsin and listed for sale. I run a small, non-sponsored youtube channel where I document all my builds, here's the first episode from the Budget Bavaria Build:

Current Fleet includes (Oldest to Newest)
1972 BMW Bavaria 4spd
1973 Jaguar XK6 4spd
1977 Porsche 911S 5spd
1990 Honda Civic Si 5spd
1999 Chevy Astro (lifted/camper)
2001 Honda Insight 5spd
2003 Ford E450 Skoolie (camper)
2004 VW Beetle Turbo S 6spd

Happy to be here, excited to learn! Can't wait to get this on the road and make it awesome!

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You're having fun! That counts.

Those steel wheels with stock hubcaps and trim rings are desirable. Everyone threw them away in the 80's and put the wheels d'jour in their place. Tough to find now.

It's illegal to use "budget" and "Bavaria" in the same sentence. ;)

A junk yard M30 is pretty easy to find and relatively reasonable.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really fun video. It takes time and commitment to film everything and, especially, go through the tedious process of editing it later. That you for sharing!

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Those steel wheels with stock hubcaps and trim rings are desirable. Everyone threw them away in the 80's and put the wheels d'jour in their place. Tough to find now.

It's illegal to use "budget" and "Bavaria" in the same sentence. ;)
I have bad news for you then. The trim rings looked battered and didn't think much of them, they were on the wheels really well and really bent them up getting them off. If anybody wants mangled trim rings and dog dish caps, PM me, otherwise they're going into the bin!

And about budget, we'll see. I have about 15k into my 911 project (worth 30+?), 6k into my red boat (worth 12?). Hoping to do the same with this thing, and if I'm not in love with it at the end, it'll be for sale. Not sure how far I'm going with it yet, but right now the goal is to learn as much as possible, collect parts, and get it driving.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have bad news for you then. The trim rings looked battered and didn't think much of them, they were on the wheels really well and really bent them up getting them off. If anybody wants mangled trim rings and dog dish caps, PM me, otherwise they're going into the bin!
The trim rings are held on to the wheel by the hubcaps. Not like US ones that clip into the rim. With the hubcap off, they should just fall off. Shoot me some pictures of the trim rings and hub caps. If they are salvageable, I'll take them.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Check out this link and watch the test drive video if you like. If the E3 is an investment and potentially a keeper, then this is your target outcome. Worth more than the Jag you mention in your film I suspect, but realize buyers in this realm are not necessarily looking for a slammed car. You could likely get a good running used M30 in there and converted to fit with your old oil pan and pump in the $200 - 2K range depending on your luck. You already have most of what you need for a 5-speed conversion, but look the link below shows a 4-speed going for 61K. Cheers!

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool! I'm originally from Appleton (now in NJ), great to see a fellow Wisconsinite. I'll follow along with your restoration, looks like fun!