New Member- 1974 CSI 62k miles

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Shell

Good luck with your project,hope it can be saved but you may be better off looking for a better shell to start on.
Welcome to the madness.

I am out there looking for a complete right front corner cut. I have a couple that may work Im looking at.

If everything but the shock tower, fuel tank, floorboards front and now slight rust on rockers (Yup i found a small bit) is clean..this will/should work.

Fingers crossed ...we will save her.

Paul

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Paul, do not get discouraged from our posts. Sounds like you have the right attitude and help to see it through. We have all spent a lot more time and money restoring our coupes than we originally thought (or told the wife) but it will be worth it in the end.

Doug

Thanks Doug. Nothing like getting to the party and getting pants-ed lol.

My friend told me that there are three rules to E9 when I bough it. Hes been a master mechanic for over 25 years.

Permission from my wife :|
Permission from my psychiatrist :shock:
Permission from my banker :?:

:) I agreed ..so did my wife. :cool:

Things happen, i understand. I have an initial budget of 5k and could go bigger if i need to. This isnt a rotisserie restoration.

There are issues but I have time and money...when needed.

I just want to drive it!

Paul

tmason

Reaction score
I would think the other tower would be the same? I think she spent her weekend chasing salt trucks in the Midwest. My .02 worth would be,take the 12K offer and purchase that Barn find for 10K and be driving this weekend in Volcano 200:) Look forward to seeing your progress.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah, yes the front towers are alligator, I see.
Great story, did they catch the guy that threw the cement block at the lawyer?
Underwater welding? My job seems so boring after imagining that one.
Good luck with the project.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
I would think the other tower would be the same? I think she spent her weekend chasing salt trucks in the Midwest. My .02 worth would be,take the 12K offer and purchase that Barn find for 10K and be driving this weekend in Volcano 200:) Look forward to seeing your progress.

All other towers look perfect. Very clean.

How often do you see Barn Finds? I dont see them much.

These cars all have rust. The are known for that. I dont think she was a salt chaser....?

Hope i dont get in too deep...but life happens. Ill share.

Paul

Last edited:

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Ah, yes the front towers are alligator, I see.
Great story, did they catch the guy that threw the cement block at the lawyer?
Underwater welding? My job seems so boring after imagining that one.
Good luck with the project.

Thanks man. I heard that the skin on the towers is alligator and the skin ivory in my case in the trunk is elephant.

The didnt catch the perp....lawyer say it jumped out of nowhere. :)

Yeah...he has fun underwater...and knows his stuff....and just retired :)

In between setting up the aquafarm he has some time for me.

Paul

tmason

Reaction score
Sorry I was talking about the one on this site that is offered at 9880.00 from VRS1.That's a steal for someone in the market for one even with freight! Very clean looking car and almost driveable to boot.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Sorry I was talking about the one on this site that is offered at 9880.00 from VRS1.That's a steal for someone in the market for one even with freight! Very clean looking car and almost driveable to boot.

That is a pretty car. I really like the CSI 74 better. Not that its a bad car for under 10k...great car under 10k.

If I told you the price on my car you probably wouldnt believe me. :)

Paul

tmason

Reaction score
Try me on the price because I find it hard to believe someone offered 12K with the picture's posted unless I'm missing something and that's very possible.I did see your pricing on a Petri of 1500.00 which I just brought one a month ago for 800.00 but needs a 175.00 rewrap this winter.

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Try me on the price because I find it hard to believe someone offered 12K with the picture's posted unless I'm missing something and that's very possible.I did see your pricing on a Petri of 1500.00 which I just brought one a month ago for 800.00 but needs a 175.00 rewrap this winter.

2200$ and if you see another petri for 800 Ill buy it I can trade it for that front quarter cut.

So I have 2200 to buy and 5k to fix up. I wont be in this car for over 12 and it will run fine and be a 20k+ car.

The guy who offered it had not seen the tower skinned he inspected the exterior skin of the tower. We could not see the full extent of the damage till the skin was peeled back. I think I would buy this car easy for 12k running....you agree?

Yes my attorney owes me.

tmason

Reaction score
I'm not sure on 12 but I would buy that Barn Find for 10 all day long if I were Buffet.I just see to many issue and just don't understand how one looks that bad and the other 3 are good? Unless he was passing that salt truck on Saturday on his way to a tail gate at Soldier Field and on his way home Sunday after the game he has to pass him again.:) What a party they put on at that staduim.I went Sunday before the game with the Packers and Da Bus was the party I went to and this guy's tail gate was off the hook! 20.00 bucks all you could drink and eat+a Live Band.Great Time!!

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
I'm not sure on 12 but I would buy that Barn Find for 10 all day long if I were Buffet.I just see to many issue and just don't understand how one looks that bad and the other 3 are good? Unless he was passing that salt truck on Saturday on his way to a tail gate at Soldier Field and on his way home Sunday after the game he has to pass him again.:) What a party they put on at that staduim.I went Sunday before the game with the Packers and Da Bus was the party I went to and this guy's tail gate was off the hook! 20.00 bucks all you could drink and eat+a Live Band.Great Time!!

Sounds like a great time. 20$ all you could eat and drink!!

The others towers are perfect...just the front right where he hit the block.

Who knows what ill find in there part of the mystery. I dont think I can go wrong for what i have in it and what im spending.

If I was buffet I would have both ;)

Just FYI that shock tower looked like the one on that 2008 before i peeled off the skin. Slight rust discoloration and held weight of 3 guys pushing on fender. I guess you never know what you'll find. The others peeled look great.

Remember you are looking at it as I take it apart. Hope all goes well when it goes back together.

Paul

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Make sure if you EVER get a chance to go to a Bears game go to Tail gate these Fan's bring it up a notch to a level I have never seen before!Great people Great fans!

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Make sure if you EVER get a chance to go to a Bears game go to Tail gate these Fan's bring it up a notch to a level I have never seen before!Great people Great fans!

Will do...sounds like a great time. Dont forget the tums.

P

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul, rock-on, but approach your project with patience-and above all, humility- understand that even the experts can get frustrated and if you stay calm and ask questions and post your pictures and listen to those who take time to post-even if it's painful- you will do fine and above all you will have fun. We're all here to help and remember- it's all about fun and enjoyment of these cars which are truly works of art-beautiful and they have purpose, which as you know is to DRIVE! :)

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Paul, rock-on, but approach your project with patience-and above all, humility- understand that even the experts can get frustrated and if you stay calm and ask questions and post your pictures and listen to those who take time to post-even if it's painful- you will do fine and above all you will have fun. We're all here to help and remember- it's all about fun and enjoyment of these cars which are truly works of art-beautiful and they have purpose, which as you know is to DRIVE! :)

Thanks Peter,

It is much appreciated. Any and all help. I have time. I am just trying to plan the path of least resistance. I am going to talk to bimerdocs tomorrow morning to see what insight they have. So far feedback is that the cars are super expensive and I should have my head examined.

In between product launches and life, the last thing i needed was another project. But its a great opportunity to drive hand made art history, to learn and to play. I need more play!

Not the first time I heard that my head might not be screwed on right. I would hate to let this car be chopped. It wants to drive!! That said im business oriented over emotional and will do whats best for the car. :) Cant you tell?

Paul

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Update from Bimerdocs

They are really nice at Bimmerdocs.

They told me I could get my money out of the car if i parted it out...i could even make some. They said the first thing I need is a new corner cut front right and to install that and new rocker on passenger. I knew that. I appreciated their feedback either way. They suggested a price of 6500-12000 to get the car in drivable condition.

That includes new steel, panel and paint. Floor boards, carpet kit and rocker.

I still think I can do it for 5k.

Carl told me unless I have a lot of time to work on this ..id be better off buying one that runs. I appreciate his opinion and thought...i just disagree. Even if im wrong, im cool with loosing a couple k just to drive it for a couple years. Here goes nothing. Those CSL seats match my interior..i may buy them.

I was looking through the boxes of parts I took out of the trunk...What did I find..a bunch of stuff im trying to figure out. But i found 50' of original CSI fuel lines. Awesome. Is there a price for this? I cant find any for sale....looks pretty rare. I have about 49 feet in perfect condition..not brittle.

The adventure continues..... Maybe I should move this thread to another forum topic?

Attachments

• IMG_20141002_143849.jpg
    IMG_20141002_143849.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 165

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are really nice at Bimmerdocs.

They told me I could get my money out of the car if i parted it out...i could even make some. They said the first thing I need is a new corner cut front right and to install that and new rocker on passenger. I knew that. I appreciated their feedback either way. They suggested a price of 6500-12000 to get the car in drivable condition.

That includes new steel, panel and paint. Floor boards, carpet kit and rocker.

I still think I can do it for 5k.

Carl told me unless I have a lot of time to work on this ..id be better off buying one that runs. I appreciate his opinion and thought...i just disagree. Even if im wrong, im cool with loosing a couple k just to drive it for a couple years. Here goes nothing. Those CSL seats match my interior..i may buy them.

I was looking through the boxes of parts I took out of the trunk...What did I find..a bunch of stuff im trying to figure out. But i found 50' of original CSI fuel lines. Awesome. Is there a price for this? I cant find any for sale....looks pretty rare. I have about 49 feet in perfect condition..not brittle.

The adventure continues..... Maybe I should move this thread to another forum topic?

Bimmerdocs i.e. La Jolla Independent. They are the west coast E9 gurus. Carl & Ben know these cars inside and out. The 12K sounds reasonable for rebuilding that CSi. It's in line with my saying double your 5K stance.

Good fuel line, one less thing for you to buy. It's readily available so only value is what 50' of X-diameter fuel line costs.

Yes, move this thread under E9 Projects & Restorations. Please keep posting your progress and what you find.

jmackro

Reaction score
They are really nice at Bimmerdocs. They suggested a price of 6500-12000 to get the car in drivable condition. That includes new steel, panel and paint. Floor boards, carpet kit and rocker. I still think I can do it for 5k. Carl told me unless I have a lot of time to work on this ..id be better off buying one that runs.

Frankly, after looking at the photos you posted earlier in this thread, $12,000 for the metal and paint work your car needs seems very reasonable. Sure, if you fabricate repair sections from sheet steel instead of buying factory parts, have your father-in-law do the welding, and paint it yourself, you can save money - La Jolla Independent's quote applies to work done by a professional shop that has to pay rent, salaries, taxes, etc.

One question: Have you priced automotive paint yet? That alone will take a serious chunk out of your $5,000 estimate.

I'm not trying to discourage you from working on your coupe. Just don't be too quick to discount advice given by an experienced, honest shop.

attachment.php

PaulSoCal

Reaction score
Bimmerdocs i.e. La Jolla Independent. They are the west coast E9 gurus. Carl & Ben know these cars inside and out. The 12K sounds reasonable for rebuilding that CSi. It's in line with my saying double your 5K stance.

Good fuel line, one less thing for you to buy. It's readily available so only value is what 50' of X-diameter fuel line costs.

Yes, move this thread under E9 Projects & Restorations. Please keep posting your progress and what you find.

Thanks Adam.

They are very knowledgeable and know several of my associates. Carl said that between Peter and him they have owned about 700 coupes. He gave me a couple cool parts for my interior. He said I should go with a 3.5 if I want to really drive it. Not sure I want to go there yet.

He said dont spend a dime till that tower is fixed and the rocker.

I trust him and agree if I had to pay someone to do it....it would cost that. Im probably wrong. Hope i dont loose too much. :)

That fuel line is original from 75. So i guess ill be able to say its original. Even if its not worth much.

How do I import this to restorations? Admin help?

Or do I just start a new one there?