New member from Cornwall Uk with CSL restoration

coalboy

Reaction score
Evening everyone, great site. I have a CSL thats being restored (currently looks very sick). For those intersted its with Paul Baker Custom Metalwork (look at the Facebook page for updates) he has 3 currently being restored. Picture in this link is mine.

https://www.facebook.com/pbcm.ltd/photos/pcb.903384166430298/903380819763966/?type=3&theater

I'm also looking for a good or new right hand wing/fender if anyone has one.....

Cheers for now from Sunny Cornwall

Simon

BlueG

Reaction score
Hi Simon - great to see the car getting some love.

Out of interest, how did you come across Paul Baker Custom Metalwork and what sort of costs are involved with restoring a car with them? Did you look at any other work shops?

I've a '72 CSi that might need some touching up in the future - and soon to be in Devon, so not too far from you in sunny Cornwall.

Best of luck with it all.

Ash

Last edited:

daddywad

Reaction score
Hi Simon, car is looking good. Mine was the 2nd CSL Paul did, finally got it on the road this year after a 4 year resto.

let me know if you need any advice or bits or whatever, I do some Alpina repro parts for E9s if you are interested

Mark

coalboy

Reaction score
Hi Simon - great to see the car getting some love.

Out of interest, how did you come across Paul Baker Custom Metalwork and what sort of costs are involved with restoring a car with them? Did you look at any other work shops?

I've a '72 CSi that might need some touching up in the future - and soon to be in Devon, so not too far from you in sunny Cornwall.

Best of luck with it all.

Ash
Hi Ash nice to hear there are more old BMW's near by. The car I took to Paul looked quite reasonable but I knew it needed work and decided to go all in. As you can see the strip down revealed some nasty previous repairs and plenty of rot. I did lots of internet searches for restorers and found "Paul Baker Custom Metalwork" through some of his previous work, particularly a very nice red e9 CSL. I went up and met the team and they gave me good confidence that they knew their way around the car and were keen to do a good job. They currently have 3 CSL's being restored. My recommendation would be to get it done now as parts are drying up and prices are on the rise. My biggest concern is the final value of the car as it might put me off using it regularly...

coalboy

Reaction score
Hi Simon, car is looking good. Mine was the 2nd CSL Paul did, finally got it on the road this year after a 4 year resto.

let me know if you need any advice or bits or whatever, I do some Alpina repro parts for E9s if you are interested

Mark
Mark, you will be hearing from me! I think it was your car that spurred me on to sort mine and also use Paul. Im dropping in to Paul this Friday to check on progress, its a little way from needing the shiny bits but is moving on well. Speak soon Simon