New member from Finland

SamiA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear BMW and especially E9 enthusiasts,

I’m so excited not only to be here but even more to be able to tell that finally also I have bought myself an E9.
The car is 1973/1974 3.0 CSi with M90 engine, Fjord blue exterior and blue leather interior. The car is originally an Italian delivery. It’s been imported to Finland in mid 90s and has then been gone through. Simultaneously the engine has been swapped.

I have been following these cars in the European web pages mobile.de and autoscout24.de every now and then during the last maybe two years, with increasing frequency. At some point I also started to follow this E9 forum as well as the BaT. Firstly I was sooo impressed by the level of knowledge you share here and also in comments in BaT. After I got over the first impression, the desperation started to take place: how in the world do I have courage enough to buy this kind of stunning looking and race history owning but so prone for rust car. Maybe I would not have had. Maybe I would not have ever bought one, if I hadn’t noticed an advertise in Finnish car sale site with an E9 in almost next village, with reasonable price. So I just had to buy it or I would have regret for the rest of my life.
How wise it is to buy and own a car which is allergic to water in a country which is covered with (nowadays wet) snow and ice for 4 months and the roads are kept ice free and dry with salt? Not very. But hey, there just are things one can not justify with wisdom….

So the car is not original. And you experts can maybe easily notice several “mistakes” in it. I am interested in hearing them, even though I bought the car to be enjoyed by driving myself and seeing it in my own parking lot or garage and not be taken to exhibitions. But please be gentle, I’m still new here….

By the way this is not my first classic BMW. Some 30 years ago I learned to drive with my own 2002tii, though that was not original either.

1599562061867.png

1599562178227.png

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Sami,
I saw it when it came up for sale and it disappeared just as quickly, great buy if it was as beautiful as it appears in the pictures :)

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Car looks great! like my Italian car in regards to four power windows and A/C. M90 is a perfect swap. Very quick. Those birch trees remind me of a great drive in Finland; great place to own a coupe!

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a very nice coupe! Sounds like the snow/ice flaps on all 4 wheels are needed.

SamiA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you all.
Car truly has flaps on wheels. But I have no intention to drive the car during the snow season. Though it might hard to resists when the spring arrives, sun is finally shining and the roads are drying again...

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sami--Very nice Coupe. Welcome to the forum. Where did you get mudguards for the front & rear? Would like to see a few more pics of how they fit.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Sami, I am relatively new to the group as well. You have a beautiful coupe. Don’t worry about it being perfect. It seems far better than most, including mine. This group has been terrifically welcoming and helpful, regardless of coupe condition. True model enthusiasts.

SamiA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny how the mud flaps create interest here. Well, I don't mind.
I have not sourced them myself, but they were in the car when I bought it. Luck as I am I have not only good relationship to the previous owner, to the one who sold the car to me but also to previous previous owner, to the one who has made most of the changes to the car. Or at least who knows most of the changes made to the car.
So I asked about the flaps. According to the previous previous owner the flaps are not for e9 but they are for early 500 series car. I happened to receive a binder full of receipts with the car, which obviously is very valuable. So did try to find the receipt of the flaps. But I was not that lucky, I did not find one.
Regards of the fact that the flaps are not from E9 they do fit rather nicely. In the front ones there is a gap or hole, the shape does not match exactly to the body. But one really to lean down to notice it. In the rear ones the structure is a bit different, they fir even more nicely.
I'll try to take some pictures of them in coming days.

FinnCoupe

Reaction score
Tervetuloa Sami,

Your car looks amazing. Love the ALPINA extras also.
Are the wheels 15" or 16"?

Would love to see more pictures, specially the engine bay.

SamiA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Friends,

When I introduced myself and especially my new-to-me E9 a year and half ago, the mudflaps in the car received some attention. I then tried to search the part number for the flaps, with out luck. Yesterday I was more lucky, I did find the stored part numbers. Attached.
A short Finnish-English dictionary: taka = rear, etu = front, roiskeläpät = mudflaps

Attachments

• mudflaps rear and front.JPG
    mudflaps rear and front.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 68