New member from Poland - 2800 CS

radosc

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. E9 was always my favorite model. I had numerous e24 in the past. Before I got my skills on a level where I can restore my cars myself i didn't bother to look for e9.

From what i gathered watching EU market is that either you will buy 20.000 euro almost perfect car or you will end up with a car that may look nice but it still needs restoration. I've decided to wait for the right original coupe with lowest possible price with bare metal restoration in mind.

And here it is:

Seems to me pretty original without many modifications, probably rusty as hell but worth saving. Got it off eBay Germany last week for 1200 euros.

Won't be easy, that's what i know.

[Broken External Image]:http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2457/47292813bg6.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6456/37431710ob7.jpg

I do have other BMW including e24 628 one owner perfect car with new m30 engine (factory new old stock from alpina - I'm finishing fitting it so still 0km) and yellow e21 baur cabrio in restoration. Personally I'm a cameraman and freelancer web programmer :)

So I'm glad i have found this forum and thanks to the knowledge of those that had already been there I will hopefully bring this fine car back on the road next summer:)

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Welcome to the group. It is always good to see someone saving a coupe from the scrap yard! From the one photo is looks like you may have an E9 worth saving. Good luck! 8)

renzo

Reaction score
Hello,

Welcome !

Great news to see an E9 in good hands ! Difficult to say something just about the pictures, but the car seems effectively in pretty original condition. I hope we could hear soon about this cars and some aditional details and pictures.

Thank you very much !

Laurent

Adamski

Reaction score
Welcome Radek,
As you probably know i've got two E9s and plenty of parts, just let me know if you need some advice or help.
Couldn't it be better place than this forum to learn about most beautiful BMW model ever made.
Prepare yourself and buy proper welder, panel beating skills and lead loading also are essential. Interior looks not so bad.
And last thing 2800CS with autogearbox is rather rare. Siema kolo.

radosc

Reaction score
Hi thanks a lot for encouragement! There is already a group of BMW fans here waiting to give a hand to help with this car. It is so uncommon car here in Poland that I receive a lot of words of support and hopefully some help!

I promised myself that my next post in this topic would be when this car is here. Well it isn't, it will be here on Sunday but i can't resist wonderful atmosphere her to post some bigger photos.

I'm prepared for worst and tin worm lurking everywhere. Still it looks kind of original car and for me it's realisation of my dreams. By now I know a little about e9s and would like to thank you all for contributions to this forum as every little piece of information and photos, that may seem unnecessary for you, is invaluable for me!

Thank you again for this great place!

Here are the photos:

[Broken External Image]:http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6052/cs280001kx1.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/234/cs280002xo4.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3061/cs280003jo2.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3342/cs280004lj4.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2305/cs280005ll3.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5867/cs280006br3.jpg

shanon

Reaction score
Welcome Radosc,

Your 2800 looks like mine did when first I got it. Enjoy your project! I think one of the funnest 'tasks' was the archielogical 'dig' cleaning out the car and 'seeing what ya got'......there were many high and lows in my dig.... :shock:

This board is a tremendous resource for these cars/projects.

Remeber: There IS light at the end of the tunnel.....somewhere.... :roll:

Good Luck!
-shanon
'70 2800cs

radosc

Reaction score
OK. Finally I got this car after a series of failures of trailers and other time consuming delays. Yesterday evening I saw it for a first time.

I must admit I never seen e9 before. Only photos of this model. Not many of it here in Poland. Man, it looks different! I just totally and deeply fallen in love in this design. Delicate, slick, sexy, its exactly what makes this car most beautiful automotive icon of the 70s. If I would see this model live before i would be here week after. I just love it.

As I mentioned before this one I bought without even asking if it is working. I'm not afraid of m30 engines and mechanics at all. I was looking for savable car that has nice combination of interior/exterior colors.

When I asked the seller about this car, if it runs, he felt kind of offended. I understand why, maybe he thought that i would like to cancel this deal or something. He never replied.

Once the car was on its way I asked him to tell me a bit of history behind it. He wrote me that this car was bought by his grandfather some years ago. Last year grandfather died and now family decided to sell his possession. Car was running back than.

When it arrived I took a short look at documents and "some years" was in fact 16 years. It was imported from Switzerland in 91 and never registered.

Needles to say it needs a lot of work. Rust is there but not excessive. It doesn't have sunroof so floor looks good. Some windshield lip rust and other usual places. I couldn't start it. In fact nothing works except of radio, exterior lights, one turn indicator. Starter doesn't work. Engine turns by hand. I will not fight to get it started for now since it should be fairly easy and I would like to have transmision fluid change as well as sparks and oil. Also fuel tank cleaning and fresh fuel would be good.

Anyway, car is complete, needs bodywork and paint. Also leather cracked immediately and I'm kind of angry with myself for not noticing this before i sat there and started to destroy it even more. I had experience with leather repair and I'm torn between re upholstery or repairing and painting. It is torn where it had cracks and I could use leather glue and additional layer of leather underneath the crack + filler to get it to look and feel nice but that's not my priority now.

Now I need a lot of reading. Since Monday I will be stripping it. Next week a frame will be welded to have a shell ready for repairs and sandblasting.

All in all I'm extremely happy with it. It is so beautiful car. I'm totally in love and I lost a lot of respect I had for other cars. Its a romantic story as well, 16 years in a barn. When it will be finished I will have immense satisfaction that I have saved most beautiful BMW I have ever seen. :)

jhjacobs

Reaction score
It sounds like you got a fair deal and you are going to have some fun.

Please take pictures and share as you make progress! It is fun to watch the steps as these cars come back to life!

shanon

Reaction score
..a Swiss car you say..?!

What year is your 2800cs?
You can run your VIN number with Mobile Traditions (search this site for their contact info) to learn orginal delivery/color information.

Wonder if your coupe could have come from the Denzel dealership in Vienna like my 1970 2800cs...now it resides in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Maybe our coupes are 'alumni' from the same Swiss boarding school... :wink:

Have fun!
-shanon

radosc

Reaction score
shanon said:
Wonder if your coupe could have come from the Denzel dealership in Vienna like my 1970 2800cs...now it resides in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Maybe our coupes are 'alumni' from the same Swiss boarding school... :wink:

My cars vin is 2221594 :) Will contact MT sometime soon. Production year is 70' and color probably nachtblau.

I will post pics of restoration and maybe video of first engine start after 16 years. Or it will be 17 years soon :D

radosc

Reaction score
After some time and winter stagnation and after i finally got a new work under control I finally got to starting her up. New oil, plugs, transmission oil etc and first attempt to start after 16' years.

Here is a small video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfYQYV-Dfk

Tomorrow hopefully test drive since gearbox appear to be working :)

DJSimca

Reaction score
Radosc, great news with the engine ... nothing beats German engineering :) :)

Not to spam the thread here, but are those 16" Alpina's that you put up for sale a while back still for sale?

Orangener

Reaction score
radosc said:
After some time and winter stagnation and after i finally got a new work under control I finally got to starting her up. New oil, plugs, transmission oil etc and first attempt to start after 16' years.
I had the same experience with an E3 3,0s, that i bought years ago for parting out.
A club-colleague had an 3,0cs with engine failure and needed a good machine badly.
This E3 was standing on grassland in wind and weather for over 15 years and looked devastatingly.
I meant, lets see if the machine is running, he would not have dreamed that i do the trick.
I cleanded the plugs, did the same like Radocs with a fuel canister and it runs!
After this, changing of the carbs from the broken engine and an oil-change, we did a machine swap, and this car now runs fine since than.
No blue smoke, nothing........

DJSimca said:
.....nothing beats German engineering
:wink:

radosc

Reaction score
It took me 6 years to get to next step of my resto :) Kids, jobs, travel took all my time.
I think, at this stage, it should not take me more than another 6 years to finish :D

2059uh2.jpg

All I need, bodywork wise, is new bonnet (or at least a very good one) and seal covers. Next I need to paint underbody and engine compartment to put it back on wheels and off to paint shop.