New member rhd CSL

Sylvancs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the add, I refer to and enjoy spending time lurking this forum!

With much luck and many searching I have recently become the owner of an E9, an early polaris silver bmw 3.0 CSL chassis 2285041. It is one of the early rhd 'drive back' cars driven from germany to the UK by the dealers before the car was launched.

The car is totally untouched as it was used and owned by a non enthusiast for the last 25 years and survives in very original condition but in need of restoration, it retains all aluminium parts and light panels, I even have the bosch rear safety reflector.

My car has the following CSL parts: All round thin gauge fenders, roof. Aluminium door skins, hood, boot lid and fuel cap. Manual front windows (as seen on early cars), black headliner, alpinas, scheels and previous owners stated optional power steering was installed in the 90s (will remove when restoring). I enquired and was told the arieal/ antennae location is non original so will also will be removed. It retains chrome bumper, rear power windows and standard glass etc from the default city pack. Car also has a momo cavallino ( I know some CSLs came with different wheels but I dont think this is original?).

I have some questions,

Is the aluminium fuel filler cap common on CSLs and RHD ones? I know there was fluctuation in parts with these cars.

Also are there others with known rhd CSLs with original manual front windows? I currently know of only a single other (2285002).

Currently spending many hours reading this forum, very helpful. Cheers! Sylvan

Attachments

• IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_2937.PNG
    IMG_2937.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3058.PNG
    IMG_3058.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 267

Sylvancs

Reaction score
Hey Simon, the previous owner bought it in 1992 in Sydney and he brought it to atherton (cairns region) in the early 2000s. The car had been in atherton for 15 years, now ive got it in Cairns. Cheers :)

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Wow, surprisingly good condition given tropical environment ...fond memories of Cairns many moons ago and my first experience of tropical humidity ( December ). After getting off the flight from Perth , dropped the bags and headed straight for the Marlin Bar that Lee Marvin used to haunt ...that joint was like a walk-in refrigerator !...icy, icy cold beer too...but I digress...did I mention you have a nice car ?

Sylvancs

Reaction score
Hopefully the body is good, it looks promising but these cars seem to hide surprises really well. Fingers crossed...and yes cairns is an oven, especially in the wet season!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan,
Nice looking CSL.
In the first pic, shows the period correct Alpina rims. Those are precious and period correct.
Scheel seats look in very good condition too although a pair of headrests would make em cooler!
Never quite noticed an Alu trunk with standard E9 'struts' to keep it open. Mine has a rod, like for the hood/ bonnet too.
Unfortunately the steering wheel is not a CSL issued wheel, but that is surely replaceable with a period correct 38cm Petri.
Gorgeous basis to go further with. Best of luck with your project.

Regards
Keshav

Sylvancs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Keshav, I believe most UK rhd retained all the aluminium panels.
I think its different for lhd 2275 city pack which traded the aluminium panels for steel?
Will surely be on the hunt for a petri 38mm in the near future!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you mean the fuel filler door, all coupes got the same aluminum door, there is only one part number in the official parts book. My US 3.0CS included.

jarrod ingleton

Reaction score
Hi Sylvan
Welcome and congratulations. I have only recently purchased a Polaris csi from Brisbane - 2250191 Aus delivered car with help from Bill Rama Also just joined this forum. The car looks great. Great bunch of guys that know more about these cars than I ever will. Keshav has been a great help in sourcing some bits so ask away. Let the spending begin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sylvancs

Reaction score
Hi Sylvan
Welcome and congratulations. I have only recently purchased a Polaris csi from Brisbane - 2250191 Aus delivered car with help from Bill Rama Also just joined this forum. The car looks great. Great bunch of guys that know more about these cars than I ever will. Keshav has been a great help in sourcing some bits so ask away. Let the spending begin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on the acquisition! "Let the spending begin" is a scary sentence, hopefully The rust gods are kind to me :)