New member still needs some help/advice

pinstripe

Reaction score
Hi. As a new member, I thought I might try a revised version of my original post. With only one reply, I wonder if the problem is that I have not included any photos?

I am the original owner of a 73 coupe, and considering sale.
The car is in Ottawa, Canada.

It went with me to the US for 10 years ( Nashville, and Atlanta ) and was restored in Nashville. ( late "80s ) I have every receipt from date of purchase. Since restoration, the car has never even seen rain. ( I might try to sell the car to the original dealer for his new showroom )

As a new member, I am interested in your thoughts about value and how best to proceed. The only value references I can find are NADA, and Hemmings. ( plus all the wild discussion on this board! )

In the next week or so, I will take the car out of storage, and take new photos for posting. I have lots of prints of the bare metal restoration that I can scan. Is there an easy way of posting photos?

The car is Agave, tan interior, automatic, and without sunroof. Milage is 61,000. With classic/antique insurance, it's only driven a few miles/year.

The providence: Built April 26,'72. Shipped to Canada May 3,'72. As was the case at the time, when I bought it, it was registered as a '73. The car still has the original Ontario plates, and registration.

The only modification has been the installation of dual Webers.

Your help/experience is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pinstripe

'73 CS 2250144, Agave

pinstripe

Reaction score
Hi. As a new member, I thought I might try a revised version of my original post. With only one reply, I wonder if the problem is that I have not included any photos?

I am the original owner of a 73 coupe, and considering sale.
The car is in Ottawa, Canada.

It went with me to the US for 10 years ( Nashville, and Atlanta ) and was restored in Nashville. ( late "80s ) I have every receipt from date of purchase. Since restoration, the car has never even seen rain. ( I might try to sell the car to the original dealer for his new showroom )

As a new member, I am interested in your thoughts about value and how best to proceed. The only value references I can find are NADA, and Hemmings. ( plus all the wild discussion on this board! )

In the next week or so, I will take the car out of storage, and take new photos for posting. I have lots of prints of the bare metal restoration that I can scan. Is there an easy way of posting photos?

The car is Agave, tan interior, automatic, and without sunroof. Milage is 61,000. With classic/antique insurance, it's only driven a few miles/year.

The providence: Built April 26,'72. Shipped to Canada May 3,'72. As was the case at the time, when I bought it, it was registered as a '73. The car still has the original Ontario plates, and registration.

The only modification has been the installation of dual Webers.

Your help/experience is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Pinstripe

'73 CS 2250144, Agave

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I assume that with the classic/antique insurance there was a market appraisal done to determine the settlement if the car was damaged beyond that value. I would get that appraisal updated if more than two years old as a starting point.

If there is an expert in restoration work in Ottawa/southern Ontario that could do an inspection for mechanical fitness and body integrity (rust), that would also aid in selling for the highest price.

I'm back in Ottawa in July and would love to see it if it is still around.

Doug

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I assume that with the classic/antique insurance there was a market appraisal done to determine the settlement if the car was damaged beyond that value. I would get that appraisal updated if more than two years old as a starting point.

If there is an expert in restoration work in Ottawa/southern Ontario that could do an inspection for mechanical fitness and body integrity (rust), that would also aid in selling for the highest price.

I'm back in Ottawa in July and would love to see it if it is still around.

Doug

pinstripe

Reaction score
Doug. Many thanks for the first reply. This ( forum ) is not a very easy process to figure out. I "hope " you get this reply.

Cheers, Pinstripe

pinstripe

Reaction score
Doug. Many thanks for the first reply. This ( forum ) is not a very easy process to figure out. I "hope " you get this reply.

Cheers, Pinstripe

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
dr-evil.JPG

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Pinstripe.

I didn't reply to this as I'm in the UK and not up on the values of non CSL coupes but from your description the car has to be worth top dollar. So I'm guessing thats $30k?

Regards,

Rohan

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Pinstripe.

I didn't reply to this as I'm in the UK and not up on the values of non CSL coupes but from your description the car has to be worth top dollar. So I'm guessing thats $30k?

Regards,

Rohan

acat2002

Reaction score
I usually don't jump on internet grammar, but I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

pinstripe, when you hijacked RogerB's thread and mentioned Providence, I think you meant "Provenance" (where your car originated), correct?, not "Providence" as the Capital of Rhode Island?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5229

As far as coupe values, even relying on N.A.D.A. as a guide is wrong.
Nobody is going to pay $45k for run-of-the-mill 73 E9 unless it is truly exceptional....as in concours.

Your car sounds nice from your description and the fact that your car has never seen rain is all fine and good, but these cars are known to rust in storage too. You really need somebody with experience to look at it in person, put it on a lift etc. document the present condition as well as the past.

Perhaps you should be asking if there are any really good vintage BMW shops/experts in your region that can perform a pre-PPI before you try to establish value. Otherwise get a good digital camera, take as many photos as possible, host them on any one of the free websites, post them here and let the discussion begin.

The car having provenance is nice, but it probably doesn't mean as much for your car as it would for a CSL bat or something that is rare and more prone to cloning.

Could be anywhere between $20,000-$35,000 based on what you stated.
Just my $0.02 if I were buying.

acat2002

Reaction score
I usually don't jump on internet grammar, but I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

pinstripe, when you hijacked RogerB's thread and mentioned Providence, I think you meant "Provenance" (where your car originated), correct?, not "Providence" as the Capital of Rhode Island?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5229

As far as coupe values, even relying on N.A.D.A. as a guide is wrong.
Nobody is going to pay $45k for run-of-the-mill 73 E9 unless it is truly exceptional....as in concours.

Your car sounds nice from your description and the fact that your car has never seen rain is all fine and good, but these cars are known to rust in storage too. You really need somebody with experience to look at it in person, put it on a lift etc. document the present condition as well as the past.

Perhaps you should be asking if there are any really good vintage BMW shops/experts in your region that can perform a pre-PPI before you try to establish value. Otherwise get a good digital camera, take as many photos as possible, host them on any one of the free websites, post them here and let the discussion begin.

The car having provenance is nice, but it probably doesn't mean as much for your car as it would for a CSL bat or something that is rare and more prone to cloning.

Could be anywhere between $20,000-$35,000 based on what you stated.
Just my $0.02 if I were buying.