New Member Turkis content

peterkaczynski

Reaction score
Hello e9coupe,

My name is Peter Kaczynski and I recently picked up my first e9. So a little bit about myself, I recently sold both of my e24's and ive been itching for another project. I search CL and other forms of ads for something unique daily as im sure the rest of you do until this little lady popped into my IG feed. A friend I follow on IG with an e24 was pulling parts from an e24 next to this e9 and it caught my eye. I asked if he knows if its for sale and he got me the contact info. Within the next few days I was off to Maryland with my pops to check her out.

We arrived at noon and made the deal, which I almost thought was too good to be true, i still cannot believe that she is mine.

The car was sitting for about 11 months with clogged fuel lines so we pushed her on the trailer after trying to start her but all she did was crank.

While getting gas on the way home we put $10 in figuring it wouldnt hurt. The following morning I hooked up a spare battery I had around the house and her m30 fired right up.

She needs to be tuned and cleaned up properly as well as redone but i think its a great start.

My initial plan was to build a batmobile clone which I promised myself of building if i ever came across an e9 but seeing as the Turik color is so rare, so beautiful and this is a Gray Market car (i believe) there is no way Id be messing with the original retro look of this vehicle.

My plans include full resto of the interior as well as patching the rust and the rest of the body. A fresh coat of Turik. Cleaned up engine bay, possibly airbags for some oem + style and a clean set of wheels. Nothing too aggressive not to stray from the originality of the vehicle. fear not purists the airbags wouldnt include tacky excessive camber but would be for the protection of this vehicle on NJ roads.

Shes a head turner as she sits and just parked in my lot shes already gotten the "what year is this" question to strike up a conversation.
Here are some photos of Stella.
Stay tuned and enjoy.

also, if anyone would be able to do a full vin search for me I have some questions about it, when i ran the vin it showed me 1973 which makes it a 1974 car but on the title it says 1975. how do i find out?
Thanks!

5647 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

1234 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

547 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

h7 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

h5 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

h4 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

h3 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

h1 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

heres a photo of my e24 which the new owner flew over from Iowa and drove her back 19 hours without a problem.
5 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

99D_8718 copy by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

my e30
99D_8750 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

99D_7400 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

99D_7403 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

99D_7363 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

this also includes my daily
13 by Peter Kaczynski, on Flickr

I look forward to being part of this community.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great story, welcome to the forum. Glad you respect the rarity/sanctity of Turkis!

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Wow...

Right place at the right time I guess...

Seriously cool score!

VERY jealous!!

Congrats...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter,

Your coupe was built in 1973, info is on this page, you need to add the 226xxxx and 434xxxx coupes together to get CSi build by year.

http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

There were 295 434xxxx coupes built in 73, 579 in 74 and 555 in 75 making your 4340130 a 73 build. In Europe the year it is sold often gets on the title so 74 makes sense. Don't think it would have sat until 75 before sold. BMW will supply build date and color and sometimes euro dealer name.

[email protected]

They may be closed as they were moving to a new location.

peterkaczynski

Reaction score
Peter,

Your coupe was built in 1973, info is on this page, you need to add the 226xxxx and 434xxxx coupes together to get CSi build by year.

There were 295 434xxxx coupes built in 73, 579 in 74 and 555 in 75 making your 4340130 a 73 build. In Europe the year it is sold often gets on the title so 74 makes sense. Don't think it would have sat until 75 before sold. BMW will supply build date and color and sometimes euro dealer name.

[email protected]

They may be closed as they were moving to a new location.

this is great! thank you so currently on my title it says 75' do you think its worth finding the exact info and presenting it to dmv to get it changed? or is it technically still a 75' even though it was built in 73' but first sold in 74' :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is great! thank you so currently on my title it says 75' do you think its worth finding the exact info and presenting it to dmv to get it changed? or is it technically still a 75' even though it was built in 73' but first sold in 74' :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

BMW will confirm it is a 73 build, you would need to convince your DMV it's a grey market 73 and not a 75. Good luck!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would that mean changing the side turn signals and making it a us spec?

No, they wouldn't know what to do. It was imported legally, every DMV is different but most all are indifferent to owner requests. Find a clerk willing to help and provide e-mail reply from BMW.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would that mean changing the side turn signals and making it a us spec?

Nope, just paperwork I believe.

You can also make it look more Euro again by replacing the headlights with Hellas or Cibies, and there is something fishy about the wipers.

No airbags in this forum, we just avoid frontal crashes. We smoke Gitanes with no filter.
That E24 is too low, do not do that to the E9.

Welcome to E9s.

peterkaczynski

Reaction score
Nope, just paperwork I believe.

You can also make it look more Euro again by replacing the headlights with Hellas or Cibies, and there is something fishy about the wipers.

No airbags in this forum, we just avoid frontal crashes. We smoke Gitanes with no filter.

That E24 is too low, do not do that to the E9.

Welcome to E9s.

Then I will be the first to do it on this forum, I'll look into the hella lights once I do the resto, what's strange about the wipers? I can't tell the difference so any tips and input would be great, thanks!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Then I will be the first to do it on this forum, I'll look into the hella lights once I do the resto, what's strange about the wipers? I can't tell the difference so any tips and input would be great, thanks!

May be just that the passenger side wiper should not have the wind deflector, also were they painted? They seem dark.

Hellas will give you radically better light also.

After airbags make sure you do 200 sit ups a day so your abdomen is hard enough for the engine coming into the cabin :).

lloyd

Reaction score
Peter,

I could always use some mentoring with statistical information, but my reading of the chart below suggests the vin is from the '74-'75 category. I see several additional indications of this being a "newer" model, e.g., the later style window switches, the later style steering wheel, the later style wheels and even the later "flag"-style exterior mirror. Hard to determine a date from the limited view of the upholstery and the turn signal/wiper stalk position seems to be an early style. Obviously any or all of these particulars (including the extra driver's side wiper arm) could have been added at any time to an earlier vehicle.

<table bgcolor="#e5e5e5" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="750"><tbody><tr bgcolor="white"><td colspan="4" align="center">From 01/1974 Thru 12/1975</td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td>2.5 CS</td><td>4305001</td><td>4305600</td><td>600</td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td>2.5 CSA</td><td>4315001</td><td>4315244</td><td>244</td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td>3.0 CS/USA</td><td>4310001</td><td>4310393</td><td>393</td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td>3.0 CSA/USA</td><td>4335001</td><td>4335451</td><td>451</td></tr><tr bgcolor="white"><td>3.0 CSi</td><td>4340001</td><td>4341429</td><td>1429</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It does have attributes of a 74 like the steering wheel, kidney grille looks like the thicker four slat as well but hard to tell. I believe it was built in late 73. The Registry has builds by year:

There were 295 434xxxx coupes built in `73, 579 in `74 and 555 in `75 making 4340130 a `73 build, total of 1429 which agrees with what you show.