New Member!

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just pulled the trigger on a Polaris 73 Bavaria a couple weeks ago. I daily drove a 76' 02 for 5-6 years when I first moved to CA and a few years ago I fully restored a 69 1600 all by myself...fully torn down, every nut and bolt, blasted the body, 2L hi perf engine, 5 speed conversion, etc, etc...then sold it after I drove it 400 miles.. I know, what's wrong with me?! Now I'm married and have two kids and have always loved the Bavarias, so it was the perfect time to jump into a new project that I can actually drive with my kids!
My current plan is to take a year or so and do a medium/large redo of the car... I'll see if I can make a build thread, but I may also do some Youtube videos and write it all off as a business expense...:).
I'm so happy to be back in the fold, so to speak, and can't wait to get knee deep in this project! I'll get pics up as soon as I can...she's a bit of a mess, but good bones.

-Stephen Z

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cool and I think we are all a bit guilty in what you said about restoring a car and selling way too soon! 400 miles though? LOL.... You might get the prize there. Welcome to the board! Can't wait to see the pics and the progress. We are here to help best we can! You will find all the Bav is a bigger 02' Only thing you may run into a little more difficult is not as many parts available, but they are all still out there somewhere. You came to the right place. Good luck! - GB

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your project. Where in CA are you? There are qhite a few of us in Orange County. I have a '76 3.0 Si that was repainted white by a previous owner from its original Polaris and I'll eventually repaint back to the wonderful Polaris. There were tons of e9s in Polaris, but I don't see that many e3s in Polaris.

Welcome

Matt

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, I guess it is kind of a big 02'. That's funny. I just got the hood off and power washed some of the decades of engine bay gunk off...I hate grime... I'll be pulling the engine and trans first and concentrating on renewing everything from the firewall forward. It's gonna be a slow process...time isn't as available as it used to be. I'm already frustrated with the tightness of the engine bay..I feel like I'm going to have to remove the intake manifolds just to get the carbs off to rebuild... odd mounting of the Zeniths..I've done Holleys, Webers, Solexes, Strombergs, etc... my first Zeniths. Here are a couple shots of it when I went to look at it. The interior is in surprisingly good shape...paint is a 15 year old job that's seen better days, and the engine bay...yikes! She'll look brand new again!!
IMG_4087.JPG

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just pulled the trigger on a Polaris 73 Bavaria a couple weeks ago. I daily drove a 76' 02 for 5-6 years when I first moved to CA and a few years ago I fully restored a 69 1600 all by myself...fully torn down, every nut and bolt, blasted the body, 2L hi perf engine, 5 speed conversion, etc, etc...then sold it after I drove it 400 miles.. I know, what's wrong with me?! Now I'm married and have two kids and have always loved the Bavarias, so it was the perfect time to jump into a new project that I can actually drive with my kids!
My current plan is to take a year or so and do a medium/large redo of the car... I'll see if I can make a build thread, but I may also do some Youtube videos and write it all off as a business expense...:).
I'm so happy to be back in the fold, so to speak, and can't wait to get knee deep in this project! I'll get pics up as soon as I can...she's a bit of a mess, but good bones.

-Stephen Z
Hi Steve;
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard. I try to help members locate parts they need for restoration or just a replacement so if you are in need for any parts,please PM me.
Again Welcome
Koopman

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Koopman! I'm sure I'll be in need of parts soon...:) Here's a shot of one of my intakes cleaned up a little bit.. some serious grime on this car.. She'll be new again, though.

Attachments

• IMG_4411.JPG
    IMG_4411.JPG
    725.4 KB · Views: 199

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like a great car! welcome and keep us posted on the progress. Nothing better than some elbow grease and watching the results.