New Old Guy from WI

mmdb99

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Mark and I have been bitten by the bug since my first e12 in 1980 (still one of my faves). After looking for years, I have decided to try and find a nice couple to share the garage with my other nice coupe which is an '88 M6. I have been looking for 6 months or so and it is a little disheartening. Price and reality don't seem to be matching up so well. In the last month, I paid for two ppi's for two separate coupes listed in Hemmings. The folks selling the cars are really nice, but there seems to be lots of condition #3 coupes for sale at #2+ prices. I've generally found Hagerty values to be fairly accurate in the past. I would not have an issue paying #2+ for a #2+. I'm wondering will this be a long search? Or are prices heading up so fast that I would be better off heading to Europe and getting a Z1? Only half kidding. I have been a long time stalker of the e9 forum and have found it entertaining and informative.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome, no real predicting where prices end up, might be a shakeout, maybe steady price increases, just make sure your prime consideration when choosing a coupe is the amount of corrosion on the vehicle. Good luck, might take some time, be ready to pounce and travel.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Mark and I have been bitten by the bug since my first e12 in 1980 (still one of my faves). After looking for years, I have decided to try and find a nice couple to share the garage with my other nice coupe which is an '88 M6. I have been looking for 6 months or so and it is a little disheartening. Price and reality don't seem to be matching up so well. In the last month, I paid for two ppi's for two separate coupes listed in Hemmings. The folks selling the cars are really nice, but there seems to be lots of condition #3 coupes for sale at #2+ prices. I've generally found Hagerty values to be fairly accurate in the past. I would not have an issue paying #2+ for a #2+. I'm wondering will this be a long search? Or are prices heading up so fast that I would be better off heading to Europe and getting a Z1? Only half kidding. I have been a long time stalker of the e9 forum and have found it entertaining and informative.

In all seriousness, have you considered importing one? The Euro is near 1:1 with USD. The car is well beyond the 25 year restriction. There are more coupes in Europe.

Before landing on an E9, I was seriously considering an E28 project car from the Netherlands or Germany. With Germany, you need to watch out for rust. I have no idea why, but the Netherlands seems less damaging. More importantly, the Netherlands mostly on the coast unlike most of Germany.

Factor in $3K and a few months to import, and you have more options.

Check out http://www.mobile.de
and http://www.mobile.nl

Here is one example:

23,250 EUR + shipping = $26K USD
$_57.JPG

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...O_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT&noec=1#

Truderinger

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

it seems that the E9 for the US is the same as the 911 for Germany. It was much cheaper abroad. Lots of 911 were bought back from Germany (less rust, good exchange rate). There are dealers who are specialized in importing only 911. But now the situation turns. As the exchange rate turned it is a chance for $-owner to do the same now in the other way with the E9. I agree to Markos but be careful. I watched out a lot of E9. Most of them looked nice but rust was including in all of them, even from Italy. So even if you get good pictures take the chance for a trip to Europe and draw a picture on your own. It's worth it. And consider import tax. Or is there no tax for old cars?
As you actually get nearly no interests for your money in Germany people put it into values like old cars. So prices increased in the past 5 years tremendously. I bought a Z1 2 years ago and now I do not find any comparable car for the same price.
The time is now!

12doplumbing

Reaction score
I paid @26 for my '73csi in -- when? About two months ago? I think
I have a little bit of rust -- manageable. And interior needs wood accents all redone, engine is stock...
I've seen another in similar condition as mine for 23k, and just a couple of weeks ago I thought the 2800cs in San Francisco South Bay, silver, with a small rear spoiler, was a really good buy at 20k (and that was obo).

mmdb99

Reaction score
I may have to start looking nationwide at Craigslist. I investigated two current ones in Hemmings, and while they are both really nice, I believe they are both solid condition #3 cars - I did have pre-purchase inspections done on both by local cars shops the specialized in BMWs. My problem is that I believe they are priced $10k too high. I would have no issue paying $40k for a nice #2 condition vehicle. (I also would have no issue paying $25k or $30 for a 3/3+). I just don't know that I will find one advertised nationally. I am going to start to check out the European websites. My only fear is I will get impatient and get the Z1 instead.

Truderinger

Reaction score
C:\Users\User\Desktop\BMW\DSC_2576.JPG
Hey Mark,

you need both ;-)!

C:\Users\User\Desktop\BMW\DSC_2576.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2576.jpg
    DSC_2576.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_9511.jpg
    DSC_9511.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I consider my coupe a Condition 2, Condition 1 is a trailer queen rarely driven. $40K might buy half of my coupe. Times have changed.

:)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as a point of reference, I bought my CS in just about the same condition as 12doplumbing's car for $6K

That was about 14 years ago

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris
I'd consider your E9 a #1.5 - it would be a #1 except you drive it often, which is a very good thing. It's too well kept up for a #2. All I know from my experience is better to buy a good one that's done, and not go down the restoration route - unless price is not object. Just my opinion....

Jeff