New owner of a 71 Bavaria

Colorado S14

Reaction score
Hey gang, I picked up a 71 Bavaria from an elderly neighbor earlier this summer. The car is in great shape with a beautiful interior and pretty good Polaris Silver exterior.

I bought it knowing that there was some work to be done, he said that he had a bad headgasket and that needed replacing. Well after snagging it from him for a great price I started to do some research and just started to get the inkling that the head instead may be cracked. Well I finally got around to pulling the head off and taking it down to the machine shop and sure enough we've got ourselves a cracked head. So now rather than track down a new head I think I may just get myself a junkyard M30 out of a later BMW and drop that in

Question thread I made(http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19911)

So that is my project at hand, I have been a car guy as long as I can remember and worked on a variety of projects over the years but this is my first foray into the BMW world, I look forward to it!

Best,
Blake

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats Blake. Can you tell if it has a clearcoat paint? You can test in the door jambs by using polish, if rag gets silver then no clearcoat.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase. We look forward to seeing some photos. I'm curious what color your interior is. I have a '76 3.0 Si that was originally Polaris/red, which I love. Unfortunately, it currently is painted white. Good luck on the engine swap. Keep us posted.

Matt

Colorado S14

Reaction score
Congrats Blake. Can you tell if it has a clearcoat paint? You can test in the door jambs by using polish, if rag gets silver then no clearcoat.

It was repainted at some point, but with clearcoat, ill test on the jams to see what the factory paint was.