new restoration essex UK CSA 1972

rb1971

Reaction score
what are the issues with the m power s38? i am very new to this but i was looking through your photo set again the other day (amazing!) and did see that fitted... so is that your garage and your in san francisco? i might be going snowboarding in lake tahoe early feb probably staying in heavenly if i make it could i pop in for a look?

oh and what other engines should i look at? the one i am interested in is here on ebay its from a 1989 535i spoke to the guy today and it all seemed pretty good £400 or $700 in real money!! ha

any tips do's and don'ts you might have let me know as your coupe is just stunning, one of the guys who works for me simply said,,, where is he,,,oh ok,,, you should just copy his one then,,, hell never know...

whats the colour by the way i sprayed a fixed pushbike for a friend today in house of kolor tangelo looks similar?

thanks paul

Thanks - it's a lot of fun. If you're going to be in San Francisco drop me a message, I'm happy to have folks look at the car. Most of the shots are in my garage, the shop that did much of the mechanical work, or my body shop. Oh, and the car is inka, or as close as we can get in CA now that there are all sorts of new paint regulations.

As to the S38, it's a great motor and there's nothing the matter with it, but the cost of everything will go up at least 2x and in some cases more like 10x. Your lifetime cost of ownership is high. If I didn't have access to the motor I used when I started my project, I would have probably used a 3.5 out of an E28 535 or the like, since as you note the cost of entry is so much lower and the available power is almost the same if you build it right.

There are lots of potential upgrades. If you are doing a full restoration, I would advise at least adding some structural support - coupeking shows some of this on his website, and if you are willing to tub the trunk you can add substantial torsional rigidity (and have the potential for dual exhaust and racing fuel systems, at the cost of spare tires and originality). My car also has modern sound-deadening inside and a fully redone interior (including sound system and suede headliner - costs of those items weren't that high). My best advice is to locate someone local who knows these cars well and has done these projects before, and to use the network both here and in real life as much as possible. Jaymic in the UK was very helpful to me and I bought a substantial number of parts from them - even with international shipping the costs were still reasonable and the aid was invaluable.

paul corcoran

Reaction score
coupe in a van

sorry for the mobile phone photo but my first attempt arrived back today from being dipped here in the UK by SPL, it was the end of the day so light was bad but as its fully stripped you can see it all good and bad!! not sure what to make of it really.... ill post proper pics tomorrow to get a few opinions...

it could be better but could be alot worse, it was a cheap car and i took a risk so what i have it seems are 2 good doors (but need new skins) bonnet/hood is good alround boot is good to the rear lip and then bad all along the back edge will need to cut it out and replace sunroof is good and shell is both good and bad to much to list without photos but main surprise is it seems the roof was replaced my novice eyes had no chance seeing that with the paint on!! wheel arches so so drivers (RHD) footwell to be replaced,,, thats all i could see with a flashlight at the end of the day, christmas comes early i guess!!

thought it looked pretty funny in the back of the van.....

what should i look out for and please tell me everything and anything can be repaired, but where and when does corrosion cause the shell to become just straight dangerous?

thanks again paul

Attachments

• coupe van.jpg
    coupe van.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 193

paul corcoran

Reaction score
rotisserie

just ordered a rotisserie for the shell as i really need to move it regardless of which way i go restoration wise,,, will post pics of the shell condition soon,,,will need as much advice as possible!! thanks paul

paul corcoran

Reaction score
1975 csi

a couple of pics as we lifted the shell of the csi away from the engine and running gear

very cold!!

Attachments

• P1144645.jpg
    P1144645.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 200
  • P1144629.jpg
    P1144629.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 174

paul corcoran

Reaction score
door cards

just an update and some images, today we templated and made some new boards for door cards front and rear, i have 2 interiors off to be de-done actually going to bulgaria as it is just so much cheaper than here in the UK and they have done a few before and look very good.

so decided to remake the door card boards as the originals were not in the best of condition, we also made up new boot lining panels and cleaned the grey skins which came up really well and re-covered them

Attachments

• P1234768.jpg
    P1234768.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 135
  • P1234763.jpg
    P1234763.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 126
  • P1234751.jpg
    P1234751.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 132
  • P1234748.jpg
    P1234748.jpg