new side grill attach

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anybody used the new plastic side grills, the ones with four plastic studs instead of the four screws. How are these supported on the inside of the fender?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Murray's advice is to use some little bits of rubber tube. I used some press on rod end locks available at any hardware store. They look like an internal tooth lock washer, they are very thin and normally have six small radial cuts to allow them to flex and lock -- not sure what the proper name for them is.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used small rubber grommets (washers) I purchased at the local hardware store.

The grills hold rock solid.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Using rubber tubing or grommets allows future removal of the grill(s) -- whereas the steel locking washers will tear away the pins if you attempt to remove same--a little like alligator wrestling--once the teeth are set the odds are you won't get them to let go without considerable damage to their grip..

Arde--they were never held on by screws--that's a makeshift kluge adopted after the pins were broken off from the original spring clips--BMW had used them and now JJ has found a similar type at the hardware--sorry to break the news of your boo-boo after the fact JJ.

(;>)

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I got my new side grills I used a 10-24 die and threaded the four plastic posts and use a washers and nuts to secure them. It works great and removal for cleaning is a snap

Kurt