New skin

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Car is just back from the shock tower repairs. It turns out when the shock came through the shock tower mount the elephant skin also got unceremoniously, shall we say, circumcised.

Got a new skin for that side and is remarkably supple compared to the brittle original. It is missing though some of the mounting holes needed when compared to the original. Does anybody have a suitable tool around here for creating the missing perforations?

See before, after, skins pictures attached.

Thanks,

A.

Attachments

• skin3.jpg
    skin3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 390
  • skin2.jpg
    skin2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 352
  • skins.jpg
    skins.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 351

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want a specific sized hole, you might have luck just sharpening a piece of copper pipe or similar steel tubing on a bench grinder, then use a mallet supported by a block of wood to make the hole.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want a specific sized hole, you might have luck just sharpening a piece of copper pipe or similar steel tubing on a bench grinder, then use a mallet supported by a block of wood to make the hole.

+1
or you can but a set of appropriate tools for all your actual and future needs of making holes in plastic of rubber
i have a facom set, from diameter 3mm to 46mm using cilindric tools, and from 46 to 420mm with a cutter and a compass

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1
or you can but a set of appropriate tools for all your actual and future needs of making holes in plastic of rubber
i have a facom set, from diameter 3mm to 46mm using cilindric tools, and from 46 to 420mm with a cutter and a compass

Do you have any links to European tool vendors? I always wish we had sources for tools other than the Chinese ones available at the box store.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you have any links to European tool vendors? I always wish we had sources for tools other than the Chinese ones available at the box store.

hummm, facom has a web page, but i do not know if you can buy online

in my case, living in an industrial area, i have access to all type of tools and spares at local dealers in an area of 20km2

my tool brands are only german, japanese, and french in the case of facom, but you will never know if some of the tools are in fact made in china !

BTW, probably if I recall the money invested in tools i would even be able to buy another coupe:shock: (not a concourse one, though!)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tools I've tried to buy from Europ/UK couldnt ship either becasue of territory issues or shipping cost.

rgage2u

Reaction score
skins

Where did you get the skins? Do you know if they offer skins/resto kit for the entire trunk?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Where did you get the skins? Do you know if they offer skins/resto kit for the entire trunk?

I was pleasantly surprised to see the skins are OEM BMW. I just got the skin side I needed
even though the texture is a bit different, or the old one aged a lot.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The new skins are totally different, much softer vs. rigid plastic, but still subject to damage if you aren't careful.