new thread CSI and CSA restoration UK

paul corcoran

Reaction score
wiring

wow, thanks chris thats a find?! send me a PM about the interior if you want, andrew let me know what they say could we buy one and make a copy perhaps! was yours a CSA? i had been thinking about doing a new wiring loom but the original is so tangled it might be easier to go from a diagram but you need something to work with for the cable lengths...let me know what they say i am very interested oh and ill PM that mobile no to you about the A/C unit.....

thanks again paul

Attachments

• P2104851.jpg
    P2104851.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 145

The Don

Reaction score
Yes Paul, mine was a CSA that has had a manual conversion. Autosparks listed pattern is for a CSI but no stock at present - takes c.8 weeks to make up.

If they receive a CS pattern, it would take 12 weeks for them to make one from scratch.

Do you have someone that can do this? I may need to get an auto electrician to have a look at mine.

paul corcoran

Reaction score
wiring

ok so thats a bit of a shame sound like they are advertising an "idea" for sale i take it all back chris!!! ha

yes i can make one i have been considering it for some time and i reckon its a product that would be needed/viable after all its just wires and connection blocks, the blocks can be bought and we could just copy my original wiring from the 75 CSI i have also diagrams....

would you be interested in one andrew? can you call me later? to discuss.... i will forward that contact to you but drowned my iPhone yesterday in a bucket of paint thinners so waiting for a replacement this morning

thanks paul

arnie

Reaction score
These guys do a new wiring harness (including the injection harness)

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_...oducts_id=2263

I'm not that sure if the harnesses would be quite the same and for that reason kind of comparable, but this could be also of interest, especially if you probably need to exchange just parts of the old stuff:

http://www.kabelgross.de/index.php?cat=c3054_BMW-2-5-CS-3-0-CS-CSL.html

I'll stick with these I guess (but at least I need to start to restore my car first :grin: )

Greatings from Germany

Ingo

paul corcoran

Reaction score
update... engine rebuild

thought i would post some more pictures

current "situation" is... my 2 good shells are now dipped and back my first not so good shell has been chopped and i have a few panels ready to donate to the good ones....anyway the shells are waiting for a while as we have been working on the CSI engine which we stripped and i had bored polished skimmed and new rings bolts and gaskets, we put the pistons in today and the head will go on tomorrow chain and covers etc.

the other engine a 3.5 m30-getrag 265 is ready now with s38 throttle bodies mounted and i will be painting that over the weekend.

the plan is then to finish the shell in the foreground first as the modified car with GAZ coil overs 17" alpinas and bike brakes all black shell with black powder coated trim, tinted windows exotic wood trim and dash (on my new CNC dash soon for sale) and tan leather interior, far from original but should look the buisness!!

then onto the CSI which will be utter originality

all the undercarriage for both cars has been blasted from 3 sets and will all be re-bushed/rubbers and its been painted with engine paint like the diffs which can be seen in the background

thanks again paul

Attachments

• P6265399.jpg
    P6265399.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 153
  • P6265387.jpg
    P6265387.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 137
  • P6265392.jpg
    P6265392.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 144
  • P6265431.jpg
    P6265431.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P6265432.jpg
    P6265432.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 136

paul corcoran

Reaction score
more pics

pics

Attachments

• P6265439.jpg
    P6265439.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 139
  • P6265470.jpg
    P6265470.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P6265472.jpg
    P6265472.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 132
  • P6265479.jpg
    P6265479.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 134
  • P6265503.jpg
    P6265503.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 134

paul corcoran

Reaction score
more pics

epoxy priming

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 139
  • P4285038.jpg
    P4285038.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 157

paul corcoran

Reaction score
wiring

thanks don,

your racing ahead with that inka one....god its not going to look much like it did!! (how did the rotisserie work out i have no space and 2 shells in the way of what i should be doing so i think i need to get one on wheels....)

but in my defence i have the excuse of a new first baby and the associated costs hence me having to tell an engine skimmer that id spent all my money on a must have 3 wheel all terrain buggy and that he would just have to hold tight for a few weeks!!

anyway was wondering if you sorted a wiring loom? i will be looking at a mountain of tangled cables soon and was wondering if you got anywhere with yours?

paul

The Don

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new family addition, now you definitely have a reason to finish the e9s!!

I am contemplating buying wires and doing our own version with a modern fuse box and blade fuses. My mechanic believes this to be the best way to go and I am inclined to agree. After all there is originality Vs common sense!

Paul, I am in need of carpets in black, as Jaymic want £370 for a complete set. I do not need the boot/trunk carpet, have you mastered it yet? Also, what happened to the website?

paul corcoran

Reaction score
back on the job

just an update on restoration progress.... things slowed down as i was really ill recently which was a pain (and sorry to messages i missed whilst awol will respond to all soon)

anyways i had a tan leather interior i bought a few months back here in the UK (ebay) and thought i would show the results of a re-spray, never knew you could spray leather!! but ut worked out pretty well i think...some before and after shots using a tinted to match PVC paint mix from my paint supplier about 6 light coats rubbed back in between with a very fine scotch pad and applied with a hvlp cup gun

it looked pretty unnatural when wet and i wasn't sure it was going well at all....but then i got a full and consistent coverage and suddenly it looked great, not too difficult either

thanks paul

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 146

paul corcoran

Reaction score
before

good condition no rips or bad damage, just very discoloured and old

Attachments

• DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 143

paul corcoran

Reaction score
parts

hello all,

i decided to weld out the sunroof on the CSI which seems to have worked out ok and i went a bit powder coat mad, just to get bits clean and coated i was getting bogged down with bits everywhere, a lot of unnecessary coating and some pieces ill probably regret/shouldn't have had done and a few rogue 2002 bits in there as-well but at least its all clean and now boxed up

also i would highly recommend gummi pflege by wurth for reconditioning rubbers, we cleaned and then cut the rubber back with a fine (grey) scotch pad and applied gummy pflege spray with a mircofibre cloth and repeated a few times, amazing results the difference is remarkable (time consuming) but worth it.

oh and also made up new elephant skin trunk panels

a special 'texture' powder to the instrument surrounds

thanks paul

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 142

rb1971

Reaction score
hello all,

i decided to weld out the sunroof on the CSI which seems to have worked out ok and i went a bit powder coat mad, just to get bits clean and coated i was getting bogged down with bits everywhere, a lot of unnecessary coating and some pieces ill probably regret/shouldn't have had done and a few rogue 2002 bits in there as-well but at least its all clean and now boxed up

also i would highly recommend gummi pflege by wurth for reconditioning rubbers, we cleaned and then cut the rubber back with a fine (grey) scotch pad and applied gummy pflege spray with a mircofibre cloth and repeated a few times, amazing results the difference is remarkable (time consuming) but worth it.

oh and also made up new elephant skin trunk panels

a special 'texture' powder to the instrument surrounds

thanks paul

Paul - that all looks great. Reminds me of a pic I took during my project of a ton of powder coated stuff - looks like you found even more things to powder coat than I did!