New to E3 Bavaria

adelatoa

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the e3 Bavaria world. I have previously owned several BMW over the years( '84 325e Hennarot, 85 533i, 87 535is, Euro '79 635csi (this was my last project that I had to sell due to losing my job two yrs ago http://abeldelatorre.weebly.com/bmw-79-635csi-euro.html, and my wife's e90 330i). Now I embark a '74 BMW Barvaria project. The project consists of basically cosmetics and a transmission rear seal leak(auto). I purchased the Bavaria from a kid that had no clue what he had. Bav came with a pair of WEBERS and boy does it pull nicely on the fwys.

Recently I have embarked on getting a tune up/maintenance fluid change. But more excitedly I am finally getting ready to add some rubber soles on a set of 15" Ronal Turbo R10 wheels 7" wide with a 12mm offset. This set I have had for 5 years and after loosing my job and selling my hoarding sets of wheels I just could not sell these. I am happy to be finally being able use these and how better than to use them on a vintage BMW. :cool: Attached are two pictures one of wheels and one of an online image found online. I love that racing stance therefore I have removed the front bumper. Contemplating on what to do with the rear bumper other than tucking it in.

Here is my question. What size tires should I go with? I am looking into a set of 225/60R15 but I have my reservations that It might be too wide and rub on strut. Has anyone had any experience with this size?

Will soon after I get it running after tune up post pictures of our new family member. :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 318
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 325

G-Man

Reaction score
Welcome to the joys of E3 ownership. Since you have a 74 E3, you'll find that US spec 74-76 E3's is the least desirable due to the big diving board bumpers but there are some great bargains out there in big bumper cars. One good benefit of owning an old BMW in CA, you are smog exempt. Recommend that you drive your E3 till the autotragic dies then do a getrag 265 5-speed conversion. The car will transformed into a fun car to drive. If you want to get rid of your diving board bumpers, here's a link on how to convert your E3 diving board bumpers into early bumpers (73 and earlier). The link is for a 2002 bumper conversion but the principal is the same. I did the big bumper to early bumper conversion on my 74 tii and it looks so much better.
http://www.my2002tii.com/sept_2002.htm

For your E3 parts need, contact Jim at Mesa Performance in OC
http://www.mesaperformance.com/ Jim has owned at least a dozen E3's and has an incredible parts selection. Also try Carl Nelson or Peter Sliskovich for parts as well.

G-Man

adelatoa

Reaction score
G-Man thanks for the welcome! Yes, I know the 74's are least desireable but I am keeping my eyes on a set of bumpers for conversion. I already took off the front bumpers and it looks awesome.

Unfortunately I need wanted an AUTOTRAGIC as this is a car for both my wife and I. There have been times where we wish we had a second car we did not have to worry about being scratched at outings and a second car that we also would not worry about gas in comparison to my Land Rover Discovery outfitted with roofrack, heavy duty bumpers, rear kitchen, and all the goodies for camping adventures but we are getting about 12 mpg. Since my life is hectic with our home remodel I also wanted a pre 76 to avoid the drama of passing smog tests.

I am looking forward to purchasing a few goddies for the interior but in the mean time I wanted to get tires for the Ronal. Have you or anyone had experience with such sizes as mentioned on my original post?

FYI I got great customer service from Jim over at Mesa Performance. Will stick to them for all my Bavaria needs.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
BavariawithE38Wheels.jpg

I've got 225-55-16's on 16x8's with a 23mm offset on my 72. I needed a 5mm spacer on the front to clear the strut, so a 225-60 on a 15x7 with a 12mm offset should clear easily.