New to the E9 world, need help and guidance

74EuroE9

Reaction score
Just got Valentina, a project to be sure. Seems to run and drive OK, rust issues of course. Got a new-used decklid and 2 doors already. Original colors believed to be Chamonix / Tan, although Karman tag is too mangled to read. Presently sporting white with a touch of pearl metallic (?). 4 Speed works OK, but 3rd gear noisy. Looks like she has lowering springs, sits nice. Not sure about the Mahle-BBS rims, the gold centers shout 'Miami Vice' but might look less dated if all silver. Fake CSL fender trims are going the way of Ebbets Field. Thanks in advance for any and all guidance!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Use the search function to look up specific topics, chances are they have been covered, if there is something specific you need just ask - there are many members here who will gladly help. Welcome to the e9 madness!

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. Between LA and Orange County there are plenty of us close by that can help if you need it.

You will want to get to know Jim and Spencer at Mesa Performance in Newport Beach and Peter and Erik at CoupeKing in San Pedro.

See you on the 405.

-D

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you doing the work yourself?

Hi EuroE9, and welcome from Austin, TX. This is a great forum and you can find just about every answer you need. It helps if you can tell us your plans and time-line, present condition of the vehicle and what you plan on doing then I'm sure you will get tons of suggestions on where to start, as well as mistakes to avoid. If you're not sure (as was the case with me) just keep reading the posts and you'll form your own ideas on how you want to proceed. These cars are beautiful though not especially "strong" so power upgrades may not be the first thing to look for- I was shown this through the forum- although there are many tasteful upgrades people have done. As one of the members below stated- use the search function and ask any questions you need! Pictures are especially helpful-

Good luck

74EuroE9

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the good guidance. I had the car on a lift yesterday for a general inspection, repair of my alternater mounting, new fuel filter, oil change, etc. I was prepared for the worst, rust wise, but pleasantly surprised at what appears to be small areas of floor rust, etc. I know its always worse that what can been seen, having had floors, trunk, shock mounitngs, etc., properly repaired with correct patch panels in sevaral early 911s and 356s. The car is a driver. My goal is get the metals repairs sqaured away and continuously used the car. I have a good metal guy and access to a parts car with some good bits. Also Ben at 2002AD / CSI Inc. in Pomona has lots of stuff and sources. Car has twin webers that work great, an A/C compressor installed but seized. I will contact the CoupeKing and Newport guy as well. Good to be in the community!

74EuroE9

Reaction score
What she needs

I found a great little hole-in-the-wall shop, they work on 2002s and whatever else helps pay the rent. They were very knowledgeable about my car, reasonable nd came up with the following needed repairs:
all front end bushings / tie rod ends, will check wheel bearings as well.
motor and trans mounts will need replacement sooner rather than later.
rubber 'doughnut' just aft of trans needs replacement.
trans quite noisy in 3rd gear, but overall functional. 5 speed upgrade?
tacky CSL wannabe fender trims removed, body and paint underneath no problem. Looking for a leather wrapped 14"...nardi last choice...any swaps interest? Small steering wheel is cute, but should be on a 2002...I have a metal guy that is reasonable and does quality work. I posted a bunch of pics in an album, have a look see. I will post more pics of her on the lift.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Where is the Repair shop that knows BMW E9s?

Interested in finding a mechanic in LA who did you find?