New toolbox on eBay $349 (??)

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the facts. Realoem was not showing the tray as available. But I guess its not very authoritative. I do see at $296 now at Tomkinson.

Question: How does one find out the number of copies of a part in the supply chain -- per deQuincy's post?

Last edited:

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Paid $ 220 at Tokin BMW....

That tool box has been on Ebay forever....dealer mark-up is insane, and most dealers will deal on parts....any takers for the $325 red screwdrivers on Ebay? Stuff on Ebay that doesn't sell is typically priced way over value, and that is why they don't sell.....but you have to look....I bought a complete set of NOS blue door panels for a steal last fall....you have to look and check new listings....after a while, you will see the same stuff over and over...for price comparisons, change your country setting and look at the German and UK E9 parts....sometimes worth the shipping....

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Thanks for the facts. Realoem was not showing the tray as available. But I guess its not very authoritative. I do see at $296 now at Tomkinson.

Question: How does one find out the number of copies of a part in the supply chain -- per deQuincy's post?

if you are referring to how many pieces that BMW has in their system...any dealer can see exactly how many parts are left, whether it is a constant production part, or if they have a run that will sell out and then become NLA.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I've seen that it is advisable to remove the tools from the case whilst travelling. Is this true?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I've seen that it is advisable to remove the tools from the case whilst travelling. Is this true?

This is a subject for debate. If the tool case is original then no question, put your tools in a tool roll. I destroyed my original that way.

There are those who will leave the tools in the new BMW re-manufactured tool case. I guess they worked well for about 25 years the first time! I still use a tool roll.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tools add weight. If lid is brittle from age, then typical breaks at the ear tabs and knob are inevitable, especially if you slam it hard. New lids will probably take a while to break.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to strengthen or reinforce the tabs on the hidden side, i.e. the trunk lid side of the box.
I have two boxes for my resto' project, one of which has broken tabs, so I will have a look at an aesthetic reinforcement modification on the damaged one. There are probably a lot of boxes out there with broken tabs but are in otherwise good condition.
Sideline for someone?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupeguy used to do this by adding metal and epoxy (i believe) and rebuilt them for sale ... but now that you can buy them new, i believe that cottage industry is over.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I cut to fit then laid a fiberglass sheet with resin behind the large screw hole, glued washers behind mounting holes, and laid epoxy down in a rib pattern to give it some more strength. Small plastic washers the size of the screw heads on other side where screws go in against the plastic to hold it on the trunk.

I keep my tools in a roll and only load them up for a show.

Has anyone tried to strengthen or reinforce the tabs on the hidden side, i.e. the trunk lid side of the box.
I have two boxes for my resto' project, one of which has broken tabs, so I will have a look at an aesthetic reinforcement modification on the damaged one. There are probably a lot of boxes out there with broken tabs but are in otherwise good condition.
Sideline for someone?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
and laid epoxy down in a rib pattern to give it some more strength.

Small plastic washers the size of the screw heads on other side where screws go in against the plastic to hold it on the trunk.

Steve, I'm about to do this repair on my box. Not fully visualizing these two statements. Do you have pics on hand or can expound on the details? Thanks.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't have any pics but I will take some of the back side when I get back from traveling this weekend

Steve, I'm about to do this repair on my box. Not fully visualizing these two statements. Do you have pics on hand or can expound on the details? Thanks.

Dave L

Reaction score
e9 Tool Box

I've wanted to buy a "new" tool kit for a long time. Mine disappeared during a restoration. It was in the trunk when the car went to the shop, but was not there when the car came out. I didn't discover it till weeks later. I just let it go at the time, now I wish I hadn't. The prices have gone through the roof on replacements. I have not been able to justify the expense when there is always something more pressing to spend $ on. Someday, when I win the lotto.....

Dave L

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's a link to my ad (with pictures) for my 'restored' toolbox that I sold a year or so ago. It only had one broken tab that I reinforced with plastic on the backside. More description in the ad.

My wife bough me one of the new ones for Christmas and my birthday in 2012. She bought it through the local dealer with $80 off with the CCA club discount. It came to about $280.00. I think BMW only made a limited run of the 'new' tool boxes, like a 130 or so. So if you can still get your hands on one and you need it, well $300+ might seem like a bargan someday...

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13159

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok like the dumbass I am I closed my trunk on a package of groceries failing to lay it on its side like I usually do and opened it up back home to find a large hole in the tool box lid from a wine bottle. So after extracting the necessary heartbreak/sympathy from the household CFO I immediately purchased a new one from Tomkinson. Thank goodness they make these now, I've always wanted one but didn't have just cause. I have removed the old one, Luis, this is how I reinforced it with washers and JB Weld. Also a sheet of fiberglass on the lid side main screw tab.

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG