Newbie and a drive shaft question

Al from Oz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm Al and I hail from the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. I have a '74 CS A 3.5ltr which I've owned for about 8 years. I had another coupe, a '73 CSi but sadly that car was destroyed in a bush fire back in '03. So it is time to convert the auto to a 5 speed. I've just had the drive shaft shortened but they couldn't balance the thing because the uni' bearings are past their best!
Now my question, what's with the no circlip deal? how do you retain the new kit ? Are the uni's useless?
The next project after the 5 speed conversion is to fit L jet.

Cheers,
Al.

Malc

Reaction score
Al,
They have to be pressed in.
If you haven't the gear to do this maybe your local garage and or agricultural engineer could do it for you.
Malc

Al from Oz

Reaction score
Thanks Malc, so you are saying that the bearing cups are retained by virtue of the fact that they are an interference fit only? I see that the factory has 'spiked' ( dimpled) the casting of the uni joint to prevent the cups from moving.

Al.

Al from Oz

Reaction score
Thanks Malc, so you are saying that the bearing cups are retained by virtue of the fact that they are an interference fit only? I see that the factory has 'spiked' ( dimpled) the casting of the uni joint to prevent the cups from moving.

Al.

Malc

Reaction score
'Fraid so
Press them in press them out
That said I had a prop shaft modified a few years ago where the yokes were cut off, machined and the UJ's changed.
It would actually be possible for a good engineering shop to machine circlip (snap ring) grooves in the yokes.
Worth dropping a note to Jaymic (UK) or Walloth&Nesch in Germany for advise or suggestions.
Maybe North American board members could help?