Newbie Introduction

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Run a couple layers of blue or green tape down the sides of your car, poke holes where the trim holes are and mail the tape to Dick. ;)

Good idea...but since I have the trim, I can just mark off the holes using the trim or measure from the trim.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s the tire that BMW used on our e3 and e9, it’s on the tire sticker in the engine bay. Every tire can be a bit different but as the width goes up by 20 profile also changes by 10. So the rule of thumb is 175/80-14 equals 195/70-14. A 205 also works.

And it is assumed that the original profile wasn’t actually 80 but more like 78 which gives both a 24.7” diameter.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. I had found sites like this...

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311243/understanding-tire-dimensions

...that call the aspect ratio of a 175R14 82 so that's what I used at the tire size calculator site. If I use 80, the 205 70 14 is a tad taller than the 175R14 and the 195 70 14 is a tad shorter. Oddly enough, the 185 75 14 is the closest in this case.

Maybe they are all close enough that it really doesn't matter. :)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just made contact with the person that owned my car from 2003 until 2016. His grandfather's best friend owned the car prior to that.

Here's a few pictures of it taken in 2003

PastedGraphic-1.png

PastedGraphic-2.png

The history of these cars is an interesting part of the hobby. The pictures give me further incentive to get going on the restoration.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just made contact with the person that owned my car from 2003 until 2016. His grandfather's best friend owned the car prior to that.

Here's a few pictures of it taken in 2003

View attachment 80879

View attachment 80880

The history of these cars is an interesting part of the hobby. The pictures give me further incentive to get going on the restoration.

Too AWESOME!!!!

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Drew- all the cars that came here normally came with lights.
You seem to think that things just “fall” from the sky.
From outer space or something......
I did not even realize you were trash-talking me in this thread Don...yes, everything comes from outer space in my world...except Fasten Seat Belt Lights.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You brighten up our days- we all wish we had lived our lives as yours.

:)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, sorry just saw your post, 195/70/14. I run stock sizes on all my cars becasue well, to sum in up, I live in a state that has the largest number of "No Turn on Red" signs per household.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not even realize you were trash-talking me in this thread Don...yes, everything comes from outer space in my world...except Fasten Seat Belt Lights.

I’m pretty sure that unobtanium comes from a belt of NLA parts orbiting between Mars and Jupiter.