Newbie with questions

Wayne9

Reaction score
Just installed new shocks and springs. The springs I purchased from a CS supplier were installed by my mechanic who was surprised that they didn’t need to be contracted as most springs have to be. The supplier said that was normal. Is it? Car seems to handle fine. Maybe because we removed the US front spacers which lifted the car in front.
Also I have old Michelin Defenders. 195/14/70. Not made in that size anymore. I also have a nice set of BBS 15” wheels from an e30.
I cruise. Like comfort. The CS is not a tosser like my 2002tii. Should I still with the size I have which limits me here in Canada to General Altima or Continentals or go to 15” 205/15/70 which allows high end just about everything.
What’s going to be most comfortable?
Also will a strut beam tighten the car up like I have on my 2002 tii which overally seems tighter?
My CS was originally an automatic converted to 4 speed Gertag which is noisy as heck. My 2002 is quieter. Any suggestions?
Too many questions. Sorry.

A 70 series 205/15 is larger OD, will raise the car compared to 195/14 (70% of 215-195 sidewall added to 1/2" larger diameter wheel).
Check individual manufacturer's specs and rolling circumference. Tire Rack has charts.

Clutch release bearing going can be cause of noise - does noise change in neutral with clutch pedal released vs. depressed for 30 seconds?
Noise in lower gears but not in fourth?
Drain gearbox, check drained oil carefully for particles. Noise can among other things be layshaft bearing about to go which if caught too late can become terminal.

if you are using a 15" wheel, go to 205/60 or 215/60. if you are using a 14", go with 195/70 or 205/70. there is a good post on tire / wheel options in the FAQ - see the link in my signature below

Further to Scott's comments on tire/wheel options, there is a good thread here talking about vintage v. modern tire compounds: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/195-70r14.46033/post-405623

My view is that the 14" wheels coupled with a vintage tire compound will provide a more comfortable ride than going with a larger rim and/or a modern compound tire. Several of us (in the USA) have purchased tires from Longstone in the UK and had them shipped to us in order to get a wider selection of tires.

comfort is a 'subjective' thing ... cushy ride (check) or comfortable knowing that you aren't going to slide into the barrier ... 2 very different things / tires, but both have their own comfortability. keep in mind, i am a huge fan of the cn36 tires. i like the idea of the 60 series tire on the 15" wheel. but since i drive daily on 30/35 series tires for the last 17 years, 50/55 series would be damn comfortable

Also will a strut beam tighten the car up like I have on my 2002 tii which overally seems tighter?
I don't have any experience with a strut bar in an E9, but I doubt one would make it feel like a 2002. The 2002 is smaller and weighs around 800 pounds less than an E9. It also has a B pillar, even though it's pretty minimal, which probably adds a good deal of stiffness overall. The pillarless design and massive greenhouse of the E9 is one of its most striking features, but it's not exactly what I'd call "tight."

I don't have any experience with a strut bar in an E9, but I doubt one would make it feel like a 2002. The 2002 is smaller and weighs around 800 pounds less than an E9. It also has a B pillar, even though it's pretty minimal, which probably adds a good deal of stiffness overall. The pillarless design and massive greenhouse of the E9 is one of its most striking features, but it's not exactly what I'd call "tight."
I have a strut bar in my coupe, and the difference is negligible. The way our cars were built makes them very flexible - when jacking my car to work underneath it, I have to jack the left side higher to get a jack stand underneath as compared to the right.

Our cars simply cannot be made to feel flat and tight like a more modern car. My view is that we need to drive them as they were built. Learn to feel and manage the weight transfer going into a corner, let the car turn when it takes a set, and at all times pay attention to the signals that the car provides when its approaching the limit. This is precisely the reason I suggested you consider a vintage compound tire - its made to work with the design of our cars; whereas a Michelin defender is not.

I have a strut bar in my coupe, and the difference is negligible. The way our cars were built makes them very flexible - when jacking my car to work underneath it, I have to jack the left side higher to get a jack stand underneath as compared to the right.

Our cars simply cannot be made to feel flat and tight like a more modern car. My view is that we need to drive them as they were built. Learn to feel and manage the weight transfer going into a corner, let the car turn when it takes a set, and at all times pay attention to the signals that the car provides when its approaching the limit. This is precisely the reason I suggested you consider a vintage compound tire - its made to work with the design of our cars; whereas a Michelin defender is not.
So something like a Vredestein Sprint Classic? In 14 or 15”s in your opinion?

comfort is a 'subjective' thing ... cushy ride (check) or comfortable knowing that you aren't going to slide into the barrier ... 2 very different things / tires, but both have their own comfortability. keep in mind, i am a huge fan of the cn36 tires. i like the idea of the 60 series tire on the 15" wheel. but since i drive daily on 30/35 series tires for the last 17 years, 50/55 series would be damn comfortable
Sorry. What do you mean 60 series? And 30/35 series etc. CN 36, that’s Pirelli. See, not too dopey.

So something like a Vredestein Sprint Classic? In 14 or 15”s in your opinion?
Precisely. It is likely that the 14s are going to be more comfortable than the 15s because of the larger sidewall, but the car may feel a tiny bit lazier. That said, going to the Vredestein or a Pirelli from a Michelin defender is going to substantially improve the way the car feels.

I have had 15" wheels on my car for many years, and like them a lot. I recently put on a set of 14" wheels, mainly because I had a set of Pirelly CN36s given to me for free and I want to try them out. My initial impression is that going with a tire compound made for our cars makes a substantial difference.

a tire compound made for our cars
I think the compound (rubber) is thoroughly modern, enabling the tire to provide much better grip in both dry and wet weather. But the tread and carcass design are more old fashioned, which is said to better suit our older cars..

I think the compound (rubber) is thoroughly modern, enabling the tire to provide much better grip in both dry and wet weather. But the tread and carcass design are more old fashioned, which is said to better suit our older cars..
Yes. Well said.

Our cars are old, flexible, GTs. Trying to make them "handle" in any modern sense is entirely futile. By a new 911 if you want a back road car. Otherwise, lay back, relax and enjoy the beautiful interior environment and ride on your way to a winery...

Sorry. What do you mean 60 series? And 30/35 series etc. CN 36, that’s Pirelli. See, not too dopey.
195/70-14 .... 205/60-15 ... 215/55-16 + 225/50-16 ... 205/35-17 + 225/30-17
some basic tire sizes - 70 series has a tall sidewall, 60 series, slightly lower, 50 series (even lower) ... 30 +35 series (rubber bands on wheels)

Go here...

...to get the specs on any tire and a comparison with tires that will have a similar diameter in order to keep your speedometer accurate

Back