Newer BMW's, User Unfriendly?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just changed the transfer case oil in my 2011 335xi. The newer cars have a transfer case issue as many of you know. Trying to avoid future failure. OMG, I thought I had every tool known to man but still neded to McGivor a bunch of stuff. These cars are just not engineered to be maintained by the at home mechanic..

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think of that from time to time. I may have to eventually replace my aging E39 Touring. I really enjoy that car, very practical, familiar, and it fits dogs and lumber for a short ride home. Parts availability is very good too. But as you know, things accumulate. Cannot think of any new BMW to move to mostly because of what you have noted and that new stuff is very home mechanic unfriendly. If I throw in the towel on maintaining a DD, might as well consider going electric, perhaps?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about going the other way when I have to part with my e39 sedan. I may hunt down an even older BMW (an e34 perhaps) that fits within my skill set. I can't get excited about the newer cars on offer these days, and I don't want to be at the mercy of a bunch of computerized stuff I don't understand and cannot fix.