Nice 2000cs $22,500

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, I've said it before - the 2000cs is a "cooler" looking car - the e9 MAY be prettier, but not as cool.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I've said it before - the 2000cs is a "cooler" looking car - the e9 MAY be prettier, but not as cool.

Boy, this is perfect example of everyone having different taste. I agree with you that the e9 is prettier than the 2000c/s. As far the 2000c/s being cooler looking than the later cars that have a longer wheelbase giving it better proportions, cleaner front end design, bigger engine, and five lug wheels - I have to politely disagree with you. :)

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Boy, this is perfect example of everyone having different taste. I agree with you that the e9 is prettier than the 2000c/s. As far the 2000c/s being cooler looking than the later cars that have a longer wheelbase giving it better proportions, cleaner front end design, bigger engine, and five lug wheels - I have to politely disagree with you. :)
Vince I love this type of debate, totally subjective but here goes:

"Cool" is sort of a pop culture consideration, the 2000c/s has this "cool" atomic 60's feel. It looks like it could be space ship, or that if you attached little 1 inch parabolic dishes on either side of the tail of hood it would fit right in (like they did in a lot of American cars of the era). It's kitch - cool.

The e9 (other than the tail lights which I have to say don't belong on that car, they're a holdover from the 2000c/s) is a classic design - opposite of kitch. Now I thought about it - there are classic designs that are also cool - a DB5 for example but for pure coolness I'd take the 2000cs over the e9. The E9 better suites me, I want classic.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd say this is a good deal on an early Coupe; especially if it is as rust free as they claim it to be. Not sure what's going on with the carburetor? It should have two Solex PHH side drafts, but I'd bet they converted it to a single Weber downdraft because the Solexes can be cranky and no one knows how to work on them. It still retains the swan neck fuel pump that would be necessary for the side drafts. It's missing the Talbot mirror on the front fender and the antenna is also missing. The wood trim on the steering wheel also missing.

Looks like a very good base to begin a restoration.

As for what is cooler? You will get a biased answer from me :)

0D81ACFA-EDE3-45D3-AAE2-59BD6B101C68.jpeg

C7C3AEF7-C9EA-4075-B259-C55675D50F40.jpeg

Ed Z

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd say this is a good deal on an early Coupe; especially if it is as rust free as they claim it to be. Not sure what's going on with the carburetor? It should have two Solex PHH side drafts, but I'd bet they converted it to a single Weber downdraft because the Solexes can be cranky and no one knows how to work on them. It still retains the swan neck fuel pump that would be necessary for the side drafts. It's missing the Talbot mirror on the front fender and the antenna is also missing. The wood trim on the steering wheel also missing.

Looks like a very good base to begin a restoration.

As for what is cooler? You will get a biased answer from me :)

View attachment 128521
View attachment 128522

Ed Z
Nice color, looks great. I'm surprised that no one works on the Solex's - they're "SU" carbs right? I see those on a lot of cars - old cars but a lot of them.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they're "SU" carbs right?

Solexes and SU carbs are different beasts. Solexes will develop a vacuum leak at the throttle shafts because the steel shaft material will wallow out the softer metal of the carb body (they are not bushed). The Solex PHH carbs that would have been on this early CS may have developed this... or any other number of reasons they took them off. It is a side draft like many others. Parts are available, but many mechanics simply don't know how to tune them.

I run the Solex PHHs on my Coupe and Solex DDH carbs on my '71, 2002. They work for me.

Ed

eddiewho

Reaction score
I presume that an original 2000CS engine number stamp of the VIN number would be preceded and followed by the "+" symbol, like on other early BMW's.
Anyone know if that's correct?

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone know if that's correct?
The engine stamp on my ‘67 does not have the + symbols. The number matches the VIN, but no + symbol. There are some circular stamps... perhaps they are Roundels? I really can’t tell. I painted the block and those marks are somewhat obscured. Here’s a picture.
50D57BBA-DA44-4A2B-813F-1D48D27C68C4.jpeg

Last edited: