NMNA-Cool Alpina 2002

It might get CA plates if in owner’s name for at least two years with that Montana title. It has nothing to do with smog.
Man it seems like CA keeps changing the rules, last one was Kevin had to get a Federal Safety Sticker for the Bav because I moved to Idaho and got an Idaho plate. Any vehicles coming in state (CA) after 1970 I think now require that sticker, even though it was a CA car it's whole life; now this? I've never heard of that about the 2 year rule.

Does that just apply to cars from MT because I wasn't here in Idaho for 2 years and he was able to get it registered, with the original CA plates I gave him but he needed the Federal Safety Sticker. Which of course was an added burden that was never a requirement until recently it sounds like. There were never any Federal Safety Stickers on cars that age back in the day. I'd never even heard of that and I've bought plenty of out of state cars and brought them in to CA. Just a VIN inspection was needed if pre-'76 and the registration from whatever state it came from, usually OR. Crazy, crazy, crazy......good for people to know when bidding out of state vehicles, especially $170K vehicles.

I bet CA starts cracking down on the LLC MT titles next. Word got out on that big time.

The issue is 68 and newer and our cars came with DOT/EPA and FMVSS stickers when new, that is what they want to see. A prior title from CA should be sufficient as it was still in the DMV database, you just have to be persistent. With an out state title it needs to be in your name for two years, and from any state not just MT. As Don has pointed out the state is cracking down on out of state plates.

Back