NMNA: project CSi in North carolina

e9Leveque

Well-Known Member
Site Donor
Messages
1,241
Reaction score
899
Location
Seattle, WA
Facebook link to the BMW E9 group which I know not everyone can access, I asked the seller to post a Google Drive link which k could then post here instead, but here is Facebook link.


Here is the text from his ad.

Running/driving 3.0csi, with *working* air conditioning! Project car, but extremely solid starting point. Long-winded details below!

1973 3.0csi, euro car imported to the US in 1984 with ~ 112k kilometers on the clock. Now sitting at 166k kilometers (103k miles), this original 3.0csi is unrestored, but very solid. Fjord blue over blue cloth interior, manual transmission car with a/c. Tons of documentation since ‘84, the last owner kept the car and drove it sparingly since 1997.

The body on this e9 is quite straight overall, but not without its blemishes. The passenger front floor pan was repaired at some point in the past, and shows from underneath. The driver side pan has some rust forming on the inner tunnel near the side of the gas pedal, and a small section behind the front wheel, but is otherwise quite solid. The chassis legs/front frame rails are rock solid. The rear pans, inner rockers, entire trunk/spare well, subframe mounts, and rear shock towers are all quite excellent. The front inner fenders have some of the usual rust, but the front strut towers themselves are also completely solid.

The interior is a mix of good and bad. The carpet is trash, seat upholstery very worn (had some aged sheepskin covers that weren’t worth cleaning, sadly), and the wood overall in poor condition. The door panels on the other hand present very nicely, the dash is straight and nearly crack free, the gauges clean and fully functional, and the headliner nearly perfect. All the glass is intact and matching. Front power windows work, albeit slowly. Rears worked a few years ago, but are currently inoperable. A/C is shockingly cold, and the HVAC functions work as they should.

In my ownership, I have had all four calipers professionally rebuilt and refinished, and installed them with new brake hoses and brake pads. The spark plugs and plug wire set are new, and a new air filter installed. The fuel tank was drained, and a new fuel pump installed, ethanol-free premium in the tank now. New rubber hoses for the injectors, and a new clutch slave installed. I was able to find an extremely nice, and fully complete original tool kit for the trunk, and a nice new set of wood trim for all four door panels.

The car most recently sat for ~9 years, being started/moved occasionally. Prior to that period, the engine and transmission were removed, the engine fully rebuilt, and a G265/6 5-speed transmission installed in place of the original 4-speed. An aluminum radiator was installed, and an updated a/c compressor and lines made. The car developed a misfire while parked, and had the incorrect injectors installed. I replaced the injectors with the correct set (used), and the car ran flawlessly, which I have video of. That was two months ago, and since then, one of the old injectors has now also failed. The car runs and drives, but obviously should have the injector repaired before being driven any real distance.

The car has a tote of new and old spares that come with it, the new wood for the door panels, and the original BMW Blue Service books.

I *really* wanted to make this car a turn-key driver, log some miles and smiles behind the wheel. I just don’t have the time to see this one through currently.

Clean/clear NC title in-hand.

$32k, firm.
Located in Raleigh, NC

Happy to take more photos and/or videos for interested parties.

Anyone seriously interested, just message me directly and we can chat further!
 
i think there is some SERIOUS rust on this car. both A pillars look suspect and the C pillars are a concern. the inner fenders have some issues. my advice - run FAST
 
Good some of our US Colleagues haven't seen most of EU project (not even E9-related).

I have seen "serious" rust on the cars from the warm parts of Europe like Spain or Italy.

Does it mean US cars we having different paint or rust protection due to overseas transportation protection which has had impacted rust growth.
That would be contrary to the statement they have been rusty just leaving production line. ;)

Subjectively this is really a car I would exchange with mine taking into account rust. :cool:
 
I think this is considered a LOT of rust. The fenders will need to come off. The pillars show issues, and I did not see any photos of the sills, but given the pillars and inner fenders, I would expect the sills (and floors) to have issues. We've seen worse, but this is not a small undertaking. The "firm" price doesn't seem to align with the condition. But a cool spec car with relatively low miles if the documentation is accurate. And the seller is sharing photos of most of these areas, so it doesn't seem they are hiding anything.

EDIT: I just saw the google drive photos. Floors shown, and one can get a good idea of the sills. Again, full disclosure by the seller. Seems to run well, too.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top