Nod to an Old Car and an Owner Years Ago.

peterinfla

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nod to an Old Car and an Owner Years Ago.

A couple of months ago I found an add for a 1980 e12 and think maybe I could grab some bits and pieces off it for a project on my e9. The car was only ten minutes from my house, so I go take a look. As I was expecting, it’s a total mess. Flat tires, faded gray paint, rust all over. Florida is hell on a car, and even worse on an old car that was most likely from up north. Great car to part out with all the good stuff still there. Perfect, except the owner wants too much money. I let the weeks go by making contact a couple of times. No one buys it, and eventually it’s mine for a realistic parts car price.

After getting the car to my house, I start exploring. All the gaps and panels are very straight, almost no dings and it appears to have never been hit. Zender air dams front and rear. I find a car cover rotting in the trunk with an embroidered Roundel on the front and “528i 1980 Ascot Gray” stenciled on the sides and back. Attached to the sun visor, a friend finds two lapel pins with roundels on them and an eagle pin with a roundel on it as well. The tool kit is complete including the two red handled screwdrivers, and I can’t help but think that someone really loved this car. I charge the battery, drain the fuel, put in fresh gas and fire it up. As I drive down the street going thru the gears, she wants so badly to get up and stretch her legs, but that would take time and money and this old girl is a parts car right?

She has been sitting at my house for three days now, and will be parted out this Sunday or next. Her parts will live on, but even now, she looks so eager and only wanting to please. I can’t help but occasionally gazing in her direction. The faded gray paint barely shows a hint of what it must have once been. The darn car is starting to speak to me. “I am not gray, I’m Ascotgrau”! What else would this old car tell me? I bet she has many stories, stories of driving through storms, sliding on icy roads, and getting that person who loved her so much, home safely. I think I’ll put her car cover on her tonight, one last time.

Attachments

• e12 Cover On 010.jpg
    e12 Cover On 010.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep the kidney as a souvenir, at least she is giving up her life so that another vintage BMW will live on.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, what a lovely story. Told by a poet. A shame to see her go. She would have had a better, longer life in a caring owner's hands.

Steve

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Old dog gone...

There is something about the cover on the car, around that corner, that has the feeling of the blindfold before the appearance of the firing squad...I have an 11.5 year old Pyrness/Golden Retiever mix who is in the same month of life...Lots of love and at the same time, sadness. Dont really want to think about it... Like the old 5'er, he still wants to run, and still does...we walked about a half a mile this morning, then de-leashed, he flew up the fifty yard driveway, and then he slept until afternnoon. Life is good.

gwittman

Reaction score
That is a great reflection of something that was once great. You brought that car to life. You could put the name of great horse in the place of that car in much of that story and it would feel the same.