NOS AMC Cylinder head value?

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know it is a bit of a crap question but I have the option to buy a NOS AMC M30 cylinder head - but I dont know if I will need it!

I dont want to miss out in case I do... but I also dont want to end up with a lot of money in something I cant resell to recoup funds (for other more needed shiny bits!)

Latest restoration photos added purely because it is SO pretty it hurts!

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 44

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, we may want to know the date of the cylinder head on your M30 engine currently. It is well known that original heads perish and owners look for a replacement from about '84. Others may have more precise specs for which may be a trusted replacement. But as I understand it, the AMC head is very good, made in Spain? I think, the outer casting finish may be rough, but the head itself has been a solid replacement for the M30. I have one as a backup, should my '84 fail. Remember, as these cars get even older, you cannot have enough backup spares. Good luck!. Let us know what you do. Mike

Gizmothumper

Reaction score
I know it is a bit of a crap question but I have the option to buy a NOS AMC M30 cylinder head - but I dont know if I will need it!

I dont want to miss out in case I do... but I also dont want to end up with a lot of money in something I cant resell to recoup funds (for other more needed shiny bits!)

Hi afishe,
I am at that point in the E9 restoration - where I've come up against cylinder head selection.
My original '74 12500199 sits at 129mm height, but it is cracked - and I would like to replace it with a more reliable option.
AMC Spain has replied to me saying they do not have any suitable heads for the M30 engine.
Given afishe mentioned the option to buy NOS AMC for M30 - is that # still available through AMC??
Can the group suggest which Cylinder Head from AMC would suit?

Also,
Wallothnesch.com has a head for 628, 633 - all years (11121278702) casting '93 1288086.
Does this head fit the early M30?
Does this one have the larger combustion chamber (reducing compression)?
I'm getting pistons made - can a properly designed Dome compensate for the loss in compression ratio?
Do I need another Camshaft?

Wallothnesch.com also list a head for 635CSi (up to 5/82) (11121278495).
Does this head fit the early M30?

These issues have probably been disscussed at length on this forum, but I'm unable to find them.
The firstfives.org FAQ on heads is useful, but as it was written 2003, I just wanted to see if there is more info around.
Thanks from Sydney.