Nothing beats an old crappy car

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who works for BMW at Sharkfest about new cars decelerating on behalf of the driver: he thought it was a great idea.

I replied that I cannot abide a car taking the throttle away from me, which is why I constantly turn off the DSC when driving my e39s. A car that would apply the brakes on my behalf is even worse.

Needless to say, I think the author nailed it with this line:

...we’re slowly engineering the human out of the automobile.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I practically live in my GTI, and I love that car as an isolated and quiet commuter. It has lost a lot though; my 1992 GTI 16V was a much more entertaining car.

I bought a Coupe because I'm a car guy who fell out of love with driving. My Coupe definitely rekindled my love of driving. That being said, I got stuck in stop and go traffic last weekend for 45 minutes trying to get into a car show. At that moment I do wish I was in the GTI though.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
That being said, I got stuck in stop and go traffic last weekend for 45 minutes trying to get into a car show. At that moment I do wish I was in the GTI though.

Have to agree, the coupe in traffic is not that nice, but on the open road, Awesome!!!!!!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a nice E3 for small money. A car you don't worry about scratches on is very liberating.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I can really relate to this article. I drive my E3 every day, haul my parts and dog around in a ratty 73 Datsun p/u, got a 71 MBZ 250 4-speed car as a back-up driver, and a 67 Nova wagon project for my friends who don't know squat about the other cars.

mario1017

Reaction score
what a great article. makes me feel better im not the only odd one out there. I am in a similar situation. I get to drive any new car my heart desires, go to work at a shiny new dealership everyday. The new cars do not do a whole lot for me anymore... its the simple machines that fill my garage that make me happy, and for a lot less. The smell of oil, the old car smell, gasoline etc are not present in new cars. They have no soul.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
what a great article. makes me feel better im not the only odd one out there. I am in a similar situation. I get to drive any new car my heart desires, go to work at a shiny new dealership everyday. The new cars do not do a whole lot for me anymore... its the simple machines that fill my garage that make me happy, and for a lot less. The smell of oil, the old car smell, gasoline etc are not present in new cars. They have no soul.

Soul is another reason I name my cars. I love them. The beauty of the machinery, the elegance of the design and how it is executed. The craftsmanship that went into the assembly and the care taken by prior owners. The visceral feel you get behind the wheel. The sounds and smells, and the satisfaction of knowing your hands keep the machine alive. Even with a car that is old and ratty, that connection can be magical.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
As much as i like the older cars that are beat up, I am tempted to chuck several and buy a new 4 door Golf R.
Right size, performance and practicality. Just missing ground clearance for Canadian winters.
I have three cars that are beat up somewhat and three that are pampered and fussed over and my first kid about to take driving lessons.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As much as i like the older cars that are beat up, I am tempted to chuck several and buy a new 4 door Golf R.
Right size, performance and practicality. Just missing ground clearance for Canadian winters.
I have three cars that are beat up somewhat and three that are pampered and fussed over and my first kid about to take driving lessons.

My neighbor who works for Audi/VW get a car every four months (nice job perk). He's got a Golf R right now; I kid him about being a boy racer, but it is a very nice little package.