Nut & Bolt manufacturers; anyone know original brand(s)?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I found this on a site for parachutists:

From p. 96, The Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter (2d edition, Parachute Publications, Santa Barbara, 1977):

"4.104 The Plating of Hardware

FAA Advisory circular 105-2: 5, b (8) reads; "PLATING OF FITTINGS. Plating or replating of load-carrying parachute fittings may cause hydrogen embrittlement and subsequent failure under stress unless the plating is done properly. Chrome or cadmium plated harness adjustment hardware may also have a smoother finish than the original and may permit slippage. The parachutist should be aware of these possible hazards."

All plating is not the same. The end result may appear similar but the strength of the finished product depends on the plating process used.

Most hardware is plated with cadmium to Federal Specification QQ-P-416, Type 1, Class 1,2, or 3. This is a fairly simple process whereby the piece is run through the plating bath and then "Baked." When replating with cadmium, the old plating must be removed and this must be done in a cyanide bath (rather than acid). Decorative plating, on the other hand is very attractive but difficult and tedious to do. The old plating must be stripped off. The metal must be buffed, copper plated, buffed again, nickel plated, buffed again, and chrome plated followed with a final buffing. All of this handiwork is very expensive and to further complicate the process, the hardware must be baked after each plating.

The plating bath is usually an acid solution and all acids contain hydrogen. The hydrogen enters the pores of the metal and rearranges the molecular structure rendering it brittle. hydrogen embrittlement is most apparent in spring parts because of their small cross section. Their resiliency is damaged by the hydrogen, not by any heat treating to which they have been subjected.

Magna fluxing (magnetic particle inspection) will not pick up hydrogen embrittlement and the plating will fill up any cracks which may have developed. The hydrogen does its damage and leaves so there is nothing to detect until the piece fails in use. Quality doesn't help either: the harder the steel, the more susceptible it is to hydrogen embrittlement.

BAKING. However, all is not lost. If the plated hardware is placed in an oven at 375 Fahrenheit degrees for a minimum of three hours WITHIN FIVE HOURS AFTER THE PLATING PROCESS, the hydrogen may be "Baked" out and the original strength of the metal may be retained. But take note: once this five hour period has passed, the damage is done. After this, no amount of baking will restore the hardware to a high percentage of its original strength.

Plating shops should be picked carefully. The "Junk chromers" who specialize in bumpers and other ornamental work are not concerned with strength and most do not have an oven; many are not even aware of hydrogen's damaging effects.

Parachute hardware may be properly chromed but it is so difficult and expensive that it rarely is. Because of the problems involved, cadmium plating is recommended. Good cadmium plating facilities with ovens may often be found on some large airports; use one which specializes in exacting aircraft work."​

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Marc-M;
Regarding the strength class and thread (coarse /fine) of the nuts and bolts; these are all indicated in the parts books, as is thread size, length and often also the head shape.

You right to highlight that it's important to choose the correct ones; those are usually used in the bits you don't want to fall off.

Erik

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting discussion on cadmium but the plating we are allowed to use today is just clear or yellow zinc, wonder if it also has issues.

Just encounter today in my 9-5 day job; yes, clear or yellow zinc (electrochemical deposited) can also suffer from hydrogen embrittlement. so indeed we need to take care for nuts& bolts.

The solution is to bake the fasteners after the plating process to bake off the hydrogen. How soon varies between upon resercher: some technical papers say as soon as possible, some say at least within 8 hours, others say within 24 hours.

Quite likely if you stick within the 24 hours, you'll be quite ok.

Taking the advice at heart; I haven't asked anything special for my rear axle fasteners when I had them plated. They are a serious large company doing a lot of zinc work for Bus & truck production lines nearby. I'll check what they did with my part last year. I'll also make sure to specifiy it when I bring in the front half of my E9.

I also think I own an update of the fastener list; Here's some new arrivals:
"FHS 8.8" on the 8 M8*24 hex bolts fixing the side cap on the differential
"KAMAX 10,9" on the 24 inbus screws M10*70 mm for the rear axle, half shafts.
"KAMAX 8.8"on the 7 (or 8?) M10*24 hex screws that hold the diff to the rear subframe.
"KAMAX 8.8" on the 4 M12*90 hex bolts going through the rubbers (bushings) of the rear axle trailing arms.

Attachments

• 20180525_160603.jpg
    20180525_160603.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180525_161242.jpg
    20180525_161242.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20180525_161838.jpg
    20180525_161838.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 20180525_161904.jpg
    20180525_161904.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20180525_162443 diff side cap.jpg
    20180525_162443 diff side cap.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding hydrogen embrittlement, I found mixed answers on that
The place that I used does parts for manufactures, including spokes for bicycle wheels and they said it is not required in normal applications