O light on the dash

cdk2921

Reaction score
So my Orange "O" light came on while driving my coupe to school this morning. It seems to flicker while under thottle, then stays on at freeway speeds. I checked the Oil level and its fine.
Should I replace the #8 Black & White Fuse and see if it turns off?
I'm hoping it's nothing more than that, but it could also be the Oil sender switch or unit according to Carl Nelson.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chris

cdk2921

Reaction score
I haven't replaced it since I have owned it. (a few years) I will check my records from the previous owner and see if they did it.
I think the oil pump is like a $600 part only available through BMW?
It starts, runs, drives, shifts fine, doesn't smoke under acceleration, sometimes cold blooded in the mornings.

AndyM

Reaction score
The symptoms are usually reversed -- flickering at idle and then the light goes out when oil pressure builds up at cruising speed. Start with the oil sending unit - they are cheap and easy to replace. If that doesn't fix it, then its indicative of bigger problems -- most likely the oil pump or worn main bearings.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
AndyM said:
The symptoms are usually reversed -- flickering at idle and then the light goes out when oil pressure builds up at cruising speed. Start with the oil sending unit - they are cheap and easy to replace. If that doesn't fix it, then its indicative of bigger problems -- most likely the oil pump or worn main bearings.

Indeed, as if memory serves, the O light doesn't indicate low oil, it indicates low oil pressure, hence a potential pump issue.

As for only getting the pumps from BMW, I got mine from Carl for <300$ a few years ago.

Philip Slate

Reaction score
I could be so wrong on this, not being all that conversant in street coupes, but on some car in my distant past the oil pressure light and the E-brake light were one and the same and a floppy E-brake handle would cause a similar situation. (As I am replaceing the carpet in my Benz, perhaps the glue I've been inhailing all day may have induced some false memories)

Malc

Reaction score
Doing this under load is a bit odd to me however
When was the last time you changed the oil and filter?
Use a good 20/50W if you can find it
Before ripping the engine to bits to get at the oil pump get a suitable attachment and pressure gauge and see what the pressure is like with the engine warm and at idle.
Look for damaged/exposed wire from the switch before changing the switch
Malc

cdk2921

Reaction score
Thanks for all your helpful responces. It turns out it was the oil sender switch, so I took it over to Bav Pro's in Berkeley and they fixed it.
Thanks for the heads up.