Off to pick up the Bavaria

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I'm off to Kittery ME to pick up the Bavaria I put a deposit on last fall. 49k on the odometer, not a rust hole anywhere I can find, in storage for many years, started right up when I looked at it and settled immediately into an even idle without oil or coolant smoke. The pipe dream is that I drag it home and have just enough time to sort it out before The Vintage. We'll soon see what it is I actually have purchased. Pics to follow. And, as with any of these purchases, either joy or heartbreak.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good luck Rob. Looking forward to seeing pictures. Send an illustrated battlefield brief when you pick it up, if you are able.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
The Burgermeister Has Landed

The Burgermeister has landed. The first of many family photos of the '72tii, the '72 Bav, and the '73 3.0CSi. I could put an Instagram filter on it and shoot my own '70s BMW ads.

Like the E24 I had a few years back, the Bavaria is too long to fit in my garage behind the E9. This is a happy problem. The lift gets pressed into service for an incredibly handy auxiliary use -- nose under nose.

Attachments

• IMG_0757-1024.jpg
    IMG_0757-1024.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0759-1024.jpg
    IMG_0759-1024.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 234

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be careful Rob, one more and I think you'll officially be out-of-control! However, since we're talking 70's BMWs You now have the full collection; 2002, 3.0 and a Bavaria, I think that represents BMWs full line up for the US market back then and I don't think a future collection of 320i, 530i and 633csi will ever be as lovely. Best thing about your collection is that you DRIVE them.

My goal is to put as many miles on my 3.0 as I can before I'm covered by the "dirt blanket". PS if you repaint the Bavaria, my vote is silver.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rob,
Great pictures.
Hope to see the Bavaria at the Vintage... wait is that a Lotus Europa in your garage?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
Yup, '74 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special. Long story there. Bought sight-unseen in Chicago, 20k miles on it, hasn't moved since '79, seized engine. Had it trucked to Boston. Very first repair was removing and tearing down the engine. The engine's been at a machine shop since late August. I haven't really been in any rush. I thought I'd do it as last winter's project. Last winter I wound up doing a litany of small sort-out things on the E9 instead. This spring I wound up refreshing my tii engine instead. Now I'm into the Bavaria. Now, I'm thinking this coming winter's project.

I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I do like seeing it in the garage.

(pic from the guy from who I bought it. he had it in his Porsche repair shop as a coffee table I mean conversation piece.)

Attachments

• image (1)-800.jpg
    image (1)-800.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 187

Bavman

Reaction score
Can I bring you anything to the "Vintage"

Hello Rob

I am actually driving a Bavaria again myself....took it to the track a couple of weekends ago and many people came up and told me their Bav stories...

What can I bring you? Will be vending at the vintage again...have some neat wheels that may be suitable, shoot me an email

Rev. Alonzo Graham Taylor III esq., etc...
[email protected]