oil pressure sender placement

George301

Reaction score
hello all. Thanks for all the great help i have gotten from you guys thru the search function.

The previous owner of my coupe added an oil pressure gauge, but the sender is attached to the top of the engine and reads wildly with every engine shake. Any thoughts on better placement? maybe a damped sender . . .

thanks

jmackro

Reaction score
the sender is attached to the top of the engine and reads wildly with every engine shake.

I doubt the wild readings have anything to do with where the sender is mounted. It sounds as if there is an intermittant electrical connection - perhaps something as simple as a loose spade lug on the wire attached to the sender. At worst, there may be an intermittant connection inside the sender, necessitating its replacement - but that that seems unlikely - usually when a sender fails, the gauge just goes to "0" all the time.

{Oops, it just occured to me that the thought below is irrelevant to George301's problem, since he has an aftermarket gauge - obviously the wiring doesn't go through the original dash electrical connectors}
Another potential problem area on e9's are the two white nylon electrical connectors behind the tachometer. The "ears" that clamp the two halves of these connectors together can break (old plastic becomes brittle) resulting in intermittant connections to the instruments. Unfortunately, these connectors are difficult to access. You might try rigging up a temporary wire directly from the sender to the gauge, and seeing if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

George301

Reaction score
It currently comes off the top of the head, tilted to the driver's side. Is that where the original is/was? Sorry, not at home, wasting time at work, so no access to pics (!)

George301

Reaction score
Good idea. i should have thought of the electrical issue, will check into it tonight.

thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes that's the original location where the idiot light sender boss is, like Jay says, snoop around there and ensure the connections are sound. If you can get to the back of the gauge, check that too.

It currently comes off the top of the head, tilted to the driver's side. Is that where the original is/was? Sorry, not at home, wasting time at work, so no access to pics (!)