Old BMWs in a comic

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I was browsing an old comic I downloaded and saw these :)

1627351185404.png

1627351210537.png

1627351383514.png

Christoph

Reaction score
Fantastic drawings. They are from the series "Gaston" by Franquin, aren't they? In lots of French or Belgian comics of at least the 60s & 70s the cars were drawn by Jidéhem, short for Jean de Mesmaker. Jidéhem loved cars and did them better than any artist around. So the others painted their strips and let Jidéhem contribute the cars, motorcycles etc. How many cars Franquin got from Jidéhem I'm not sure. He drew some cars himself, especially the eternal Gaston car, the yellow & black one.

Note the yellow reversing lights on the 2800 Series 1, a French specialty. All headlights had to be yellow then, and reversing lights counted as headlights. Seen only one or two cars that still have them like that.

The story around the third picture I remember as incredibly funny, except for the destruction of the beautiful 1600 or 2000 touring.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, Gaston. My brother brought several of the "graphic novels" back when he studied in Europe in the 1980s.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The last one looks like a BMW 2002 Touring, and the first could be an E9 or E3, very hard to tell from the front, bumper more E9 I guess. Cool.......