Old methods to modern......

mr bump

Reaction score
A question I've got to ask, where does the members/owners stand on replacing old original bits with better modern parts? My question is really directed towards insulation, sound deadening on floors and bulkhead. I've stripped the inside of my E9 and removed the original bitumen sound deadening, now there's more modern better replacements on the market, so what have you chaps used? Did you find original or used modern replacements?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Modern, materials and manufacturing processes advance over the years, my old man subscribes very much to the ethos of keep it original, whilst I feel that if something can be made better than factory, why shouldn't you?

mr bump

Reaction score
On the outside I'm all for how the car left the dealership, and I'm in agreeable with you chaps about unseen modern methods.
Stainless exhausts? Very expensive for what they are i thonk, plus I can make my own mild steel one and for the average 200 miles a year my car does, it will last a lot longer than I will.
I won't change a thing unless it can be reversed to original. Glad to know you chaps are up to date.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Sorry, but what’s the point in owning one of the most beautiful old cars in the world if you only do 200 miles a year in it, there meant to be driven, I would do 200 miles to a track day or a weekend away with my wife. Get out and drive it.
My two bobs worth.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Modern if possible.

e.g.

Aluminum radiator.
EFI (e.g. motronic 1.3)
5-speed
performance tires
external amplifier, aftermarket speakers