Old Radio Modern Insides, feasible?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the idea of a old classical looking radio, but with the features of a modern inside. ChromeLondon do these, but some are £1,995!!, plus extras like DAB + £195 tc. The basic ones are ~£400 plus another ~£150 / £200 extra for each additional feature.
This is my favorite is their Becker Mexico Ivory £3,995, plus £195 if you want DAB.

Has anyone worked out how to put modern insides into a classical radio? Could I do the entire lot with a smart phone and just have the radio as the on / off and to drive the speakers?
I like the idea of :
- 4 or 6 outputs for speakers, don't mind if the balance and or amp is external.
- Bluetooth for phone, so will need some form of pick up/ answer feature, remote microphone and ideally voice recognition to control it. But microphone and sound via the speakers will do.
- Bluetooth input for some sounds via smart phone

Which is the best period radio to start with? I might as well buy one of those to get started.

Is this a dream too far, or feasible for DIY, whilst being affordable? Yes I'm cheap and love the success of making something like this work out.