On da fence

FrankieD

Reaction score
(I’ve been debating with myself as to whether I should post this or not, but in a moment of clarity, decided to. Not sure if this should go under the New Member posting or the General Discussion so forgive me for posting this under both…. ) fd
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Greetings guys (and any girls out there but I’m not sure if I have seen any posts so far- my bad if I have missed any!). I’m truly on the fence here. I’m not the mechanical type, so none of my work on this car is a DYI project.
<o:p> </o:p>
Back in September, (as a retirement gift to myself), I purchased a 2-owner 1972 3.0 CS from a local party. This has always been a So CA car last owned by a guy in Santa Ynez for the last 28 years, and my mechanic indicated that it was solid with minimal issues, ie. nothing major, good mechanicals with a solid body. This was something that I envisioned as a long-term project to get into really great shape as time and my pocket book allowed. Having owned 2002’s years ago, the CS bodystyle always was too alluring for me to ignore!
Car is a sunroof CS with 44,340 miles on the odometer, which I believe to be 143K. 5 Spd manual. Electric windows and sunroof. Color is red with black interior. This was repainted 8 years ago with the glass taken out, and it appears that minimal rust repair was completed at that time. (I have the receipt for this work.) It was previously registered on this site, VIN # 2250242, though I don’t see any posts that the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">PO</st1:place> made.
My problem is that I am on the fence over this whole project and, being in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Ventura</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State></st1:place>, I’m not sure of a local (within 20 or so miles) model expert that I could get input from. (I know that there are parties in LA, <st1:placeName w:st="on">Orange</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">County</st1:placeType> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">San Diego</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">County</st1:placeType></st1:place>, but would prefer a more local source.) I’m not sure if I have deep-enough pockets, nor know enough about what will be needed, to get my car where I’d like to see it!
After six months, I’ve had the issues with the shifting of the 5-speed trans resolved, the carbs synchronized, fuel smell cured, and a few other minor issues resolved. So far, I have identified the following to be addressed:
1) Front suspension is a bit loose, with some play in the steering, (two inches of play?). I’d suspect bushings and other suspension repairs, as well new shocks as there is a bit of a thump when hitting bumps. (Installed new tires recently so this won’t be an issue.)
2) (Car had “wink” mirror that I just replaced with original type rear view mirror.) As a result, needs new headliner.
3) When the car was painted, even though the <st1:place w:st="on">PO</st1:place> had the bodyshop take out the glass, he didn’t have them do the door jambs, trunk and engine bay, nor the area visible when the sunroof is open, painted. Therefore at least these need to be painted and, possibly, the entire car again to match. I noticed two (very) small (!) pin-hole like rust areas just under the trim on one door, and there may be a bit on a lower door that is not visible.
4) Seatbelts are funky. Need to have at least the top portion of each side replaced- not sure about whether this should be retracting or what the fix is, but this needs to be corrected.
5) Car does not have a tool set nor clamshell.
6) Right power window not functioning going up.
7) Maybe door trim and other items….
Part of the problem for me is storage. Due to Haggerty insurance rules, this vehicle needs to be stored in a garage. We have a two car garage so, until I bought a new car for the wife, her car was outside and this was (and still is) in the garage with my sports car. Now that I have replaced her vehicle, I need to look for another location for the CS as her car needs to be in our garage. (And there is no way that my DD will be outside!) My father-in-law will let me put the CS in one of his garages, BUT his location is less than a ½ mile from the beach. As prone as these cars are to rust, I am afraid that even with a cover I am setting this car up for body issues in the future, especially if I plan on keeping it another 10-20 years. And I do plan on living this close to the beach in the not-to-distant future. (Paranoid, maybe!)
As all of you know, there is also the issue of parts availability, as well as price.
The other major issue that I have is in having a competent and knowledgeable (for CS’s) mechanic who can properly advise me of what issues I need to address, the availability of parts, and overall costs.
As I said, I am on the fence on this entire project. And, as you also know, these are desirable vehicles. (I went to the PCA breakfast this month, which is designated as our alternate vehicle month, and had two guys asking me if I wanted to sell it- and had anther club member asking me if it was for sale when I showed him pictures!) I don’t mind a long-term project, and the values of the CS are only going to increase over the years. I’m just not sure that I have the knowledge (I actually KNOW that I don’t!), contacts nor deep enough pockets to truly get this car where it deserves to be.
I’ve been monitoring the posts here for a bit and am impressed with the knowledge and experience of this community. I recognize the fact that, even though I thought that I knew the issues with older BMW’s, that I underestimated the E9. I suspect that I am not properly prepared for this process, and may be better off bailing out before I get too far into this financially speaking. I’d appreciate all feedback, but please be kind as I’m in a vulnerable emotional state (why else would one but a 40 year old BMW???) as to what suggestions you would make as to what alternatives I should consider at this time. What are the upsides and downsides of this situation? Please be kind…
Thanks all. frank E deeee

rudeuk2

Reaction score
Old unknown cars are full of grim surprises, well, old ones that have been sat in the UK for decades are anyway.
It's an old car and unless it's been pulled apart and every square inch of it inspected, repaired and/ or treated, it's going to continue to deteriorate.
Set a monthly budget and get it all fixed gradually.
My daily drive 635 has it's own bank account! (which is always empty... like the fuel tank)
It has it's minor problems, weird things go on now and then and they somehow fix themselves, some don't, then there is the odd catastrophic failure once a year and I'm always waiting for something to go POP, but it's a small price to pay as it has it's own personality, gives me a good few laughs and goes like stink.... unlike the ridiculous plastic bubble car euroboxes rolling around here these days.

And as for having to make space for the other halves car.... :twisted:
What is a garage described as? Couldn't you get a tent or metal shed or something to put it in? Stick a sign on it saying 'garage' and job done.
It'll also save you loads of money if you learn some skills too... practice them on the wifes car. Owning and using an old motor should be fantastic and something you are in control of, not a scary headache.
If you got any doubts about it, sell it. Buy something more suitable. :cool: