Original Becker/Blaupunkt radio vendor

snj5

Reaction score
Just a note to everyone - in addition to Becker Autosound and Konig Klassics, I found Mr. Hussey (owner) at Automobile Atlanta (yes, it's the Porsche place) also sells refurbished Blaupunkt and Becker radios. Becker Autosound says that they really can only provide DIN radios, while Mr. Hussey seems to have a good supply of the shaft mount radios that fit the E9, both Blaupunkt and Becker, and claims a turn time of 3 weeks.
No affiliation, yada, but I've ordered an AM/FM shortwave for the CSi, so I do not have to cut a DIN hole. Will report back.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well done, another dash saved from the cutter

Just a note to everyone - in addition to Becker Autosound and Konig Klassics, I found Mr. Hussey (owner) at Automobile Atlanta (yes, it's the Porsche place) also sells refurbished Blaupunkt and Becker radios. Becker Autosound says that they really can only provide DIN radios, while Mr. Hussey seems to have a good supply of the shaft mount radios that fit the E9, both Blaupunkt and Becker, and claims a turn time of 3 weeks.
No affiliation, yada, but I've ordered an AM/FM shortwave for the CSi, so I do not have to cut a DIN hole. Will report back.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Some of the Beckers and Blaus were both Shaft and Din mount.

Some of those early 1970s radios can be converted and used either way.. Shaft or Din...

The other option is I will lend you my Skill Saw or Sawzall and you can install a radio like most of the Stereo shops used to do back in the day for just $20... They never worried about cutting a HUGE horrendous looking hole in the dash they had large plastic cover plates for universal installation that hid almost everything:mrgreen:...

Last edited:

snj5

Reaction score
According to a guy in Germany, this is the most correct radio for a CSi with air conditioning:

Attachments

• securedownload3.jpg
    securedownload3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 277

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

snj5

Reaction score
Great document.

That is what I kinda thought, that there was some local variation on radio instalation. I'm mostly thrilled as it has BMW knobs.

Now, back to more soul serching on where to drill the antenna hole.... :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like a `71 vintage Koblenz de Luxe, 7 631 653, which has the euro only FM scale which stops at 104, US goes to 108 and it is Mono.

snj5

Reaction score
Looks like a `71 vintage Koblenz de Luxe, 7 631 653, which has the euro only FM scale which stops at 104, US goes to 108 and it is Mono.
I was aware of the Euro FM scale, but will go back and ensure that I get a stereo receiver (e.g. 7 632 642 Frankfurt stereo from 72). Many thanks for the heads up! It seems stereo came in around 72 - 73. My car is a 72, so I just made the cut. :)

If all goes well, will route the output through a JL audio amp and 6x9 Hertz speakers below the rear shelf. Also hoping the adaptor allows internet German Radio, such as Antenne Bayern or RTL from the phone.

Last edited:

snj5

Reaction score
Its funny that I now have an appreciation of how rare simple things are - like original BMW knobs. They were currently unavailable at Becker and Konig. Hope to have the radio installed by this weekend.

Attachments

• IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 244

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks great. the BMW knobs you mention are for Blaupunkts, Beckers were all black.

Its funny that I now have an appreciation of how rare simple things are - like original BMW knobs. They were currently unavailable at Becker and Konig. Hope to have the radio installed by this weekend.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went through the trouble of buying a Vintage Blaupunkt radio and mounting plate for my 2002 without realizing my car came with the original Frankfurt and mounting plate in the box of spare stuff in the trunk. DOH.

snj5

Reaction score
I went through the trouble of buying a Vintage Blaupunkt radio and mounting plate for my 2002 without realizing my car came with the original Frankfurt and mounting plate in the box of spare stuff in the trunk. DOH.
That is something like I do on a regular basis.
Finished product looks pretty good. Still have the option of a chrome faceplate, but this looks nice. Sounds good, but not 2012 Audiophile good, so about what I expected - and good for the somewhat noisy ambient environment. Have not tried the LW, SW, aux input or bluetooth yet, but hopefully tomorrow. Highly recommend Automobile Atlanta for excellent service and quick turn on this Blaupunkt stereo radio.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 207

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fantastic install. I like the crappy 1970's sound out of mine - adds to the time capsule effect. Prefer the sound of the engine anyway.