Original Purolator Oil filter question

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those staying with the original filter configuration (me), one way to avoid the mess of spilled oil and/or all the difficulty with maneuvering the canister in the close confines is to remove the the four bolts securing the oil filter assembly to the engine block and pull the whole thing out that way. You have to deal with the paper gasket but it is easy to make a new one if you wreck it. BTW, is there any difference among the three different gaskets shown in the diagram (i.e. are they interchangeable)?

+1 that is exactly what i do, and it has worked for me all these 8 years
additional information is that i use a plastic bag to wrap the whole thing before removing the last bolt, and there it goes inside th bag, almost no oil spilled on the floor this way

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I make the spin on filter adapters. So I am guessing what you have. The canister should measure 4” across. maybe 3.5” if the filter head has been changed. What you are calling a washer is a threaded bushing with two diffferent threads. To use a spin on you will need an adapter plate that will accept the spin on. The adapter plate will screw on the smaller end of the bushing onto the filter head and then the spin on to the bottom side of that. The adapter plate provides a flat surface for the spin on to mount to. The other side of the adapter fits onto the filter head. There are 3 different configurations of filter head and canister. A 4” canister that bolts from the bottom, a 3.5” canister that bolts from the bottom and a 3.5” canister that bolts from the top. Each one uses a different size and style of threaded bushing.